Urgent Care :: Turtle Shell Discoloration

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 am   Turtle Shell Discoloration

Hello, both of my baby turtles started to become more discolored as time goes on so I was wondering what it could be. It didn't look like the shell was fuzzy or shiny. Also no smell and shell is hard. From what I'm reading, it could be hard mineral deposits but I could be wrong.. I use tap water but also use turtle conditioner for the aquarium. I change the water once every week or once every two weeks depending how clean the water is.

How big is your turtle? 2-3 inches
How long have you had it? 3 months

What is the water temperature? 78-80 F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there?about 3/4 Full
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 86 F
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Zoo-Med Platform
Is there a UVB light? Yes
Do they bask? They bask when I'm not home so pretty much from 9-5

What have you been trying to feed it? Reptomin
When was the last time your turtle ate? They both eat fine.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 20 Gallon Tank
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Yes

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No they are both active.
Attachments
rsz_img_20160920_081531.jpg
rsz_img_20160920_081128.jpg
rsz_img_20160920_081117.jpg
rsz_img_20160920_081104.jpg
rsz_img_20160920_081054.jpg
rsz_img_20160920_080905.jpg
rsz_1img_20160920_080910.jpg
Armoredx

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:18 am   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

Hi, you will also need to have uvb over the basking area. Some of the lightness is from those wide seams, indicating that they are growing too fast (over fed). Some of the lighter color may indicate that they will be shedding soon.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

steve wrote:Hi, you will also need to have uvb over the basking area. Some of the lightness is from those wide seams, indicating that they are growing too fast (over fed). Some of the lighter color may indicate that they will be shedding soon.

Ah, I've been feeding them daily. Should I start feeding them every other day? And should I start feeding them veggies? Are that at that age where I should? Also, how do i position the UVB lamp (The one on the right) so they bask in it? I thought as long as the rays are available for them to use, it should be fine. Also feeding the reptomin that has calcium. Also, what do you mean wide seam? Sorry, first time taking care of turtles.
Armoredx

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:13 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

You can feed them daily, just use smaller portions. Definitely start with veggies.

UVB bulbs are fairly weak, so they can only really benefit from them when it's over them directly. Seams are the spaces between their scutes... from the pics, you can see how thick and grey they are.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:05 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

steve wrote:You can feed them daily, just use smaller portions. Definitely start with veggies.

UVB bulbs are fairly weak, so they can only really benefit from them when it's over them directly. Seams are the spaces between their scutes... from the pics, you can see how thick and grey they are.

Changed it so that both lights are on top of the basking mount. Gf was reading an article where turtles can go blind if the uvb is too strong or too close. Using a 50v bulb so shouldn't be an issue. I'm also getting them a lot less.
Armoredx

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:41 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

There were some issues with compact uvb bulbs that caused eye issues (we sent in several cases for the main photoconjunctivitis paper). Fortunately it did not cause any permanent damage.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:27 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

steve wrote:There were some issues with compact uvb bulbs that caused eye issues (we sent in several cases for the main photoconjunctivitis paper). Fortunately it did not cause any permanent damage.

So I've been feeding my turtles less and giving them red lettuce, they try to eat it but spit it out. Is this normal behavior for a hatchling? I see small pieces of lettuce floating in the tank. I change the lettuce every day.
Armoredx

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:24 am   Re: Turtle Shell Discoloration

Hatchlings are more carnivorous, but I would just keep at it. Even try a veggie clip.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care