Habitat - Indoor :: Flood-proof filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:35 pm   Flood-proof filter

Hey guys, I'm still a relative novice with taking care of my turtles and I have a question regarding a filter I recently bought. I bought the Eheim Classic 600 external cannister filter 2217 for my 50 gallon tank (1 adult RES in it).

My main concern is after setting up the filter I am now extremely paranoid of having an accidental flooding incident. I live in an apartment building (10th floor, wood flooring) and I have had floods before (unrelated to fish tanks, just plumbing accidents).

Is there anyway I can reduce this fear? Any additional equipment I could buy to reduce the risk of flooding? Are my fears valid or are floods with filters quite rare? I'm just very afraid to use this filter.
magicqiang

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:16 pm   Re: Flood-proof filter

There's always a potential for accidents. You mainly need to make sure the connections are put together correctly and tight as instructed. Make sure the main o-ring is seated properly (might need occasional lube or replacement) and that your turtle can't disconnect or push out any of the intake/outtake parts. I place my canister under my tank and in a large plastic container. It might catch a small leak but not much else.

I'd also get a couple of water leak detectors ($5-10) to make sure. Check to see if you're covered under renter's insurance. After water changes/filter cleanings, check very carefully over several hours to make sure there are no leaks, not even a drop is normal.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 pm   Re: Flood-proof filter

Hey steve, thanks so much for the reply. I rechecked all the tubes and connections and reinforced everything with duct-tape to be extra cautious. I also took your advice and placed the canister filter in small bucket. Can I ask you about the water leak detectors? I am curious to understand how they work. I checked my local home depot and they sell them, but I don't get how they detect a leak.
magicqiang

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 am   Re: Flood-proof filter

I believe it comes with sensors/probes/contacts that once get wet, complete a circuit and sets off a loud alarm. These are usually battery powered.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor