Urgent Care :: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:47 pm   My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Hi,
My son was playing in the yard and lost grip on his heavy baseball bat and it flew into the bush where my turtle was hanging out. He ran in and told me what happened and said the turtle was bleeding on it's head. I was freaking out. I love this turtle sooooo much my family says I'm obsessed with it. He's about 6-8 years old. Not sure how old as I found him in my parents dried up swimming pool. I've had him for over a year now. Anyway my older son tried to calm me down and said it didn't look too bad. He stopped bleeding quickly but there's a small dent above the eye where it happened. I have no idea if the bat did that or if the bush cut him or what. Anyway he ate a little at first (he's a real eater) but now he won't eat. I'm thinking it may hurt him to eat. Do you think he may be in shock and will eat again or could something more serious be wrong with him. :cry:
carol3810

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Most likely its some temporary shock but you might want to research some vets in your area incase you need their services.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:57 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

steve wrote:Most likely its some temporary shock but you might want to research some vets in your area incase you need their services.

Thanks so much Steve for replying. I hope it's just shock and nothing serious. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks so much! :)
carol3810

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:18 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

carol3810

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:33 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

My turtle still isn't eating. She/he tries but when she eats one one pellet it's like it really hurts and her and she won't try and eat anymore. She wouldn't even eat dried worms or dried cranberries her favorites. Could her jaw be broken? She is still walking normally just a little less active. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank so much!! :(
carol3810

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:51 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

This injury is serious and she's in a shock! Please take her to the vet ASAP!
"When an animal puts their trust in us, may we never let them down..."
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:51 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

I agree, it sounds like she needs to be physically checked out :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:52 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Thanks so much for your input. I will take her in as soon as I can get an appointment. This happened Wednesday and she's still not eating. Could her jaw be broken and that's why she's not eating? Also if she's in shock how long does that last? Thanks again, I just love her so much. :(
carol3810

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:18 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Hopefully she's just under the weather. My RES would still try to eat even if she isn't feeling well. Is swimming/basking still normal?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:15 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Yes, she is normal in every other way. She is very active now too. The only other different thing I noticed is she's going poop a lot. Lots of logs in the last few days. Normal looking though. I looked for blood and didn't see any in her stools. She hasn't opened her mouth since Wednesday though. I saw her eat some on Wednesday after it happened but hasn't eaten since. She loves to eat always begging like all turtles do. She hasn't opened her mouth since. Maybe opening it slightly when she's in the water but usually she's opening her mouth wide as soon as she sees me with her food she practically jumps out of the tank. Now, she's still excited but just looks at me and doesn't open her mouth and still hasn't taken a bite. That's what makes me think her jaw is injured or broken. Once again thanks to all for helping. I am really grateful!!!
carol3810

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:01 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

It does sound very unusual, hopefully it's not something serious. I don't recall any broken jaw situation, usually there is a chipped or overgrown beak problem when dealing with their mouths.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:20 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

carol3810 any news about your turtle?
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

I have an appointment on Monday. She still isn't eating. I've been observing her a lot lately and heard her making a sneezing or croaking sound some but not a lot. I also saw her open her mouth wide while she was walking so it could be a RI. It could just be a coincidence that she had these problems afterward she got injured and it has nothing to do with that. Doesn't like the water would rather be out. Can't wait till Monday. Thanks soooo much for your concern. :)
carol3810

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:54 am   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

Keep us updated. Also keep her warm. And yes I worry because I have one little rascal turtle like yours and I know the feeling when something bad happens.
Good luck :wink:
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:51 pm   Re: My RES got a head unjury and isn't eating now

So I just got back from the vet and she said my turtle looked fine and healthy and didn't have a RI which I was relieved. She squeezed her throat/neck and did all kinds of tests that pissed my turtle off but all she ended up doing is giving her a vitamin B12 shot hoping that will increase her appetite. I don't know, I just think the vet missed something. I just tried feeding her and she still isn't eating. Please any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had there turtle stop eating fro such a long period of time? It will be 2 weeks on Wednesday. Any information greatly, greatly appreciated. :)
carol3810

Next

Return to Urgent Care