General Care Discussion :: Turtle Biting its own shell... :-/

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:03 pm   Turtle Biting its own shell... :-/

Hey all I just introduced myself in the first thread and I mentioned that I had a question so here it is.. :-D

Here is a link to a video I took.
Is this normal ive done some searching on the internet... and couldn't come up with much or anything on this topic.
Its almost constant when she is Basking, my girlfriend thought the noise was coming from her throat, and it started about a year ago. She had no clue it was her actually biting the edges of her shell. I hope this is normal, there appears to be no damage to the turtles shell. but, i thought id ask since theres almost no info online on it..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nem30rok61znero/VID_20160908_105050.mp4?dl=0

Thank you guys,
MrFish
MrFish

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:48 pm   Re: Turtle Biting its own shell... :-/

I'd carefully check over that area. It's not something I've seen much or heard of, but that does not mean something is wrong. At first I though it was croaking noises, which some RES do occasionally.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 am   Re: Turtle Biting its own shell... :-/

Hello Steve,
Thank you for the reply, when you say check over that area do you mean the shell? When the turtle basks and the shell dries out there are little micro crisscrosses marks that i can see, but they remind me of say your phone case from being placed on a surface man times.

or

Are you thinking the noise could still be coming from the throat but only comes out when its neck is twisted that much of an angle.

I don't think its a big problem, or I hope, im still new to turtles, but since my GF said it started last year and there's no other symptoms i think its okay?

Thanks again for you help and any others.
MrFish

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:36 pm   Re: Turtle Biting its own shell... :-/

Yeah, wherever she's biting. Marks that are not deep shouldn't be a concern and it does seem the sound is from the biting. I don't think it'll be a problem but this is a new one for me.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion