General Care Discussion :: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:08 pm   Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

I am the owner of a 9 month old red eared slider turtle. He is 2.5 inches and very energetic. He lives in a 55 gallon aquarium with 5 cichlids (3 of which wouldn't hurt a fly). He has these small light colored marks on his 6 of his front scutes but the one in the middle of the 6 (3 on one side 3 in the other) doesn't have any marks on it. This one is the one that doesn't come in contact with the glass when he swims against it when he tries to get to me. I wouldn't think it's shell rot because I have a working fluval 306 canister filter and an above tank basking platform with heat and uvb lights. And is temperature is a factor in she'll rot the water is constantly at 78 degrees and the basking temp is normally at 90 but iv seen it as high as 93 and as low as 88. I'm new to this whole forum thing so if somebody would explain to me how to post a picture that would help. Thanks :lol: :mrgreen:
Benbayers

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:37 pm   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

Benbayers

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 pm   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

Not likely shell rot, but I'd need closer pics (clear and area dry) to confirm. Most likely it's an air pocket, meaning the scute will shed soon.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:45 am   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

Sorry for the late response.

This pic was a pain in the you know what to take :lol: he wouldn't stop moving! :mrgreen: they aren't pits so I'm pretty sure it isn't she'll rot now but I'm not an expert. I've been 100% on top of water changes since these came up. My convict cichlids have spawned in the turtle tank, so I'm thinking the parameters are in check. And while I'm here, has anyone had success with aquatic plants and turtles? Squirt ate the Anubius I put in and I heard that tastes bitter, so I'm thinking there's no hope. Any suggestions?
Benbayers

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:07 pm   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

Looks like those are getting ready to shed. I'd also review his diet, his shell should look a bit smoother and he's probably been overfed.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:46 pm   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

I believe his shell is like that because he ate a lot of hikari cichlid gold as a hatchling. I used to leave him in the tank when I fed the fish, but now I take him out. Now his staple is cobalt aquatic turtle minis that I covered in calcium powder (homemade from cuttlebone) every other day. The veggies he eats are zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and romaine lettuce, and I give him the occasional mosquitofish. How often should I be feeding him? I used to feed him every day but have cut down to a full meal every other day and just a few pellets on off days. I've noticed the pyramiding and i have been trying to correct it. He is a very active, happy turtle with a great personality and I really want to take good care of him. Thanks
Benbayers

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:17 am   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

You can feed everyday, but as you have noted, you need to reduce the amounts. How much of those minis is he getting?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:47 pm   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

Usually he will get 10-15 of the minis. They are the size of mazuri tuetle pellets
Benbayers

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:08 pm   Re: Is this shell rot? White spots in front scutes

I would probably cut it back a little if he is getting that everyday.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion