General Care Discussion :: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:55 pm   Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

Sheldon isn'the returning to the water at night by herself. I'm placing her into the water. Now she doesn't fight me or start splashing or anything. Her appetite is off but she's still pooping. Any cause for concern? She's been off for almost a week and I'm starting to wonder about calling the vet. We are due for a water change/filter clean on Friday so that might be the trick especially since the water in the tank is at 76 degrees. Air Temps are good too with her basking light on.The weather is weird for this time of year but we're still fighting a drought and temps outside are hotter than usual for this time of year. Thoughts?
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am   Re: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

If she's been doing this on and off all year, I wonder if it's the new normal? How does she respond to her pellets/treats?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:49 am   Re: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

I'm hoping it isn't. Making me nervous. As for pellets/treats - she's started ignoring her lettuce (just a nibble or two is missing) and the pellets she looks at and thinks about and then eats. Definitely not the usual - "Feed me I'm starving" routine. I'm heading to the pets store on Saturday to see if a change in pellets might be something to try, though she's always loved her Reptomin before....
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 pm   Re: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

My turts have been a bit inconsistent this year too, so I understand your frustration.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 pm   Re: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

They like to do this to us don't they?

I bought some pre-made frozen jello shots at Petsmart. Going to see if she likes those. *shrugs*
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm   Re: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

That's it, I'm taking away their tPhones :evil: I might try out a new basking area for my turtle problems...

I have had some moderate success with veggie clips, but it really depends on their mood.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:05 pm   Re: Anybody else's turtle acting weird? - it's Sheldon again

Totally! They're grounded! New basking area? Sounds like an interesting project.

Tried the veggie clip for the lettuce. She likes it, when she's actually eating her lettuce.
cutepanda86

Return to General Care Discussion