General Care Discussion :: how old is my slider???

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:13 pm   how old is my slider???

hello, i am a new user as of a moment ago. It seems when ever i have a 'GOOGLE' question i am directed here. So here i am and here is some of my issue. My Grand daughter was given a RES for her fourth birthday(she is really my turtle),anyway, she is a far cry from a baby. About 6 inches long and dark in color. She was purchased from a pet store. in all the reading and You Tube material I have watched I cant seem to figure it out. Is it true I will never know her age? And while I'm asking questions...Any suggestions on how to bond with an older turtle? Thanks and I'm glad to be here.
willowgram

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:33 pm   Re: how old is my slider???

Hi willowgram! 6"... likely you have a female but she still has some growing to do! Can you post pictures of her shell? Plastron and carapace? If her markings are still vibrant and she still has some growing to do, I would say 3-4 years old. She could be younger if she was overfed and has grown quickly to her current size.

As for bonding, their personalities vary. But once she associates you with food, you'll be her best friend :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion