General Care Discussion :: new yearling not basking

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:01 pm   new yearling not basking

Hello guys, I have two res, small yearling turtles in a 55 gallon. They been in their tank for about 2 half weeks now. My problem is one of my two turtles is so skittish and shy that it won't go to the basking platform. Currently the turtle stays on the opposite side of the tank in the water by a log tree I have set up there.it just hangs on the tree while floating in the water. I've seen the turtle bask once with the other turtle but aside from that it keeps to itself in water.

Should I be concerned?

Water temperature is 78 degrees f and the basking temps are around 88 degrees f. I also have a uvb light on the same side as heat lamp.

Turtle swims is active eats fine.
oceandiver

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:34 am   Re: new yearling not basking

Some are scared of humans, could be the case.
Probably still adjusting to it's new environment.

One of my turtles is so skittish, it only comes out when there are no humans in sight.
Then upon seeing a human, she will dash into the water.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am   Re: new yearling not basking

Does the other one harass him?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 am   Re: new yearling not basking

Thanks for replies guys.

The other turtle does not harass the non basking turtle, they get along quite well.

Its been about 3 weeks and I have not seen my shy skittish turtle bask more then once.

The basking platform is made up of river rocks big enough for more then one turtle to bask.

Should I lower the water temp from 78 to 76?

I increased the basking temp to a steady 90 to hopefully entice the other turtle.

I'm willing to try anything, I really don't want to have to dry dock the turtle myself as its scared as it is.

The turtle is not scared when its feeding time aside from that it gets spooked easily.

Is this a territorial issue ? As the shy turtle 90% of the time stays by the tree opposite of the basking platform.

Please help I don't want my little guy to encounter any health issues.

Thanks
oceandiver

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm   Re: new yearling not basking

What's the temperature up at the basking area? Can you post a picture of the setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:16 pm   Re: new yearling not basking

Hey guys just an update I decided to film my turtles for an hour and half while I stepped out the house.

I am relieved to see the non basking turtle, basking. It went up for 4 minutes out the water.

Then it went up a second time for 14 minutes.

I don't know if this was a case of him basking when I'm just not home.

Some things I changed was I turned off my water heater this morning and the temp dropped from 78 degrees to 76. I also turned off my uvb light.

Tommorrow I will film turtles with uvb light on and water temperature at 76.

Any input about what I'm doing is greatly appreciated.

Steve I will post a pic of setup today.

The temp at basking site is 88-90 degrees.
Which I normally before had at 84-85.
oceandiver

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:28 pm   Re: new yearling not basking

That water temperature range is fine for yearlings. What are you using to measure the basking temps? If it is 90, you can bump it up a little to see if he basks more. How long have you had your turtles?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:51 am   Re: new yearling not basking

Thanks for the reply Steve, so just to confirm temperatures 76-78 is ok for yearlings?

Currently basking temps are at 88 degrees, I'm using those thermometer gauges that stick in the inside of the tank.

I've had the turtles for about 3 1/2 weeks now.

I've got two little res one is super shy and the other quite the opposite. I always see my non shy turtle bask but the other guy not so much.

I know that when I'm not home the shy turtle basks but its for only minutes at a time, with the highest of 20 minutes straight.

Is this ok for him not to bask in long spurts?

What is the highest basking temperature I can go for these little guys?

Current water temp at 78 degrees.

Thanks
oceandiver

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:16 am   Re: new yearling not basking

Yes, I think those temps are fine. You will want him to bask regularly, but it might take some time. I'm reluctant to recommend a maximum temperature but each turtle will have their own preference. Have a large basking area will allow them to choose their own temperature.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 am   Re: new yearling not basking

My guy doesn't like to bask in front of people and I've had him for over a year. He basks when left alone daily, and occasionally will sneak up there if I'm in the room and not looking his direction.

+1 on a large basking area. The temps on mine range from about 85-95, and he definitely has a 'spot' that he likes, but occasionally will move to warmer areas and really stretch out.
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm   Re: new yearling not basking

Steve and drift thanks for the input.

Question for drift, what is your water temperature? And how old are your turtles.

Question for everyone else, I have a uvb light about 5-6 inches away from basking spot. Is this okay for little juvenile turtles?
oceandiver

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:27 pm   Re: new yearling not basking

Im a little late to reply but, just give it time to adjust and get used to Humans, if it still doesnt go to that area then take your turtle to a vet. :mrgreen: :D
Tech2025

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 pm   Re: new yearling not basking

The bulb should have specific directions for it's use. What kind is it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:25 am   Re: new yearling not basking

oceandiver wrote:
Question for drift, what is your water temperature? And how old are your turtles.

I have an RES that is about 1.5 yrs. My water temp is around 80 this time of year. I'm in South Louisiana - even with AC running that's the best I can do - my cold tap water is over 80! In the winter I control water temp with a heater and let it drop a couple degrees.
OtisDriftwood

Return to General Care Discussion