Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: hello!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:07 am   hello!

Hello!

I thought i would introduce myself. This forum has helped me a lot. I got two baby red eared sliders in Dec, around the week before Christmas and I was so worried. They didn't eat for 10 days and I thought they would die. After a lot of research, I upgraded their environment and they are doing well.

Current Set Up:
20G Long glass aquarium
Whisper Filter rated for 30G
UVB light
Heating lamp & heater (unused now because of summer)
thermometer sticky on tank
automatic food dispenser (so they get their food at the exact same time every day + when I go out of town)
floating basking dock

Aside from the tank being cloudy when it first cycled, it's been crystal clean.
I've fed them:
reptomin pellets
crickets
cuttlebone
rosy eyed minnows (one of whom ended up being a tank mate for FOUR months)
chinese algae eaters (they lasted one month)
tomato tops
strawberry tops
cucumber
carrots
romaine lettuce
fish flakes
tuna (at the very beginning to coax them to eat)
dried shrimp

Today:
I added in a shipwreck deco (to provide hiding spots for the fish)
I added 3 goldfish ( i know they're fatty but am hoping they can be tankmates vs. food)
2 pleco (their spiny bodies hopefully will be less appealing to the turts than the chinese algae eaters. may they RIP)
one cluster of hornwort

Basically I want to have an ecosystem that eats algae, keeps the tank clean and have a combo of fish and turts and I hope while they're young (one is just over 2in and the other is almost 3 in), they can coexist.

The bigger turt is very aggressive with food (I feed them by hand sometimes) and as a result has grown faster. He(?) will splash vigorously with his mouth open and swim around to wherever my hand is with the food. A little worried about pyramiding / the other one not getting enough. and sometimes the aggressive one will rest over the timid one but the timid one doesn't seem to mind.

I know soon i need to upgrade my setup, but I know that will be costly. of course the tank and also i need to get a better table/piece of furniture to support a heavier tank. and then a better filtration system..etc.

anyways, thought i would introduce myself as I've read a lot of the questions here extensively and wanted to say I appreciate this community.
twoturts

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:02 am   Re: hello!

Welcome to the site! 10 days is a pretty long time for a hatching, very glad to hear they are well. Sounds like everything is going well and you're doing a good job. How big are they now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:45 pm   Re: hello!

one is a little over 2 in & the other is almost 3 in. I think they started around the same size and maybe same age, but because of the aggressive nature of the bigger one, he/she got bigger faster.
twoturts

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:10 am   Re: hello!

You'll be able to tell genders soon, so that might give you some insight on how big (expensive) the next upgrade will be :)

You might need to take the bigger one out of the tank for a few minutes while the smaller one eats.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:36 am   Re: hello!

thankthanks for the tip! i do that sometimes.
twoturts

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:40 am   Re: hello!

Great! Any pics of them :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:55 pm   Re: hello!

yeah lots! here is one looking through the horn wort (i think that's the name of the plant)
Attachments
IMG_20160828_171333.jpg
twoturts

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 pm   Re: hello!

Heyyy that's nice! Thanks for sharing and welcome! :D
lindaliulo

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am   Re: hello!

Very nice looking!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.