Urgent Care :: What is this

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:08 am   What is this

Woke up this morning and Itchy has been floating in the pond not his usual self. I noticed this grey mass under him. Is this a prolapse? What do I do?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
pan1k

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:57 am   Re: What is this

It might be an intestinal prolapse, I think he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP.

From: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medinjuries.htm
This is most often, but not always, caused by ingested gravel. The gravel is eaten and when pushed to exit the turtle’s system, it becomes lodged in the intestinal tract and, when forced out by the turtle, it exits the body bringing the intestinal tract out with it. Another cause is an impaction in the stomach that is finally released. These are usually self-repairing, as the intestinal tract retracts back into the body once the feces are expelled. If not, see treatment below. And yet a third reason has yet to be determined. Believed to be secondary to an existing condition, it is uncertain why turtles will sometime have these prolapse conditions for unknown reasons, most times, repairing themselves shortly after.

Once this happens, the turtle must be removed from the habitat, as other turtles (as well as the prolapsed turtle itself) my see this as a food item and bite it, causing serious injury and often times, death. Recommended home treatment is to place the animal in a clean, smooth container (I use the bathtub) and coat the prolapse with either granulated sugar (dry sugar, not a water:sugar solution) or honey. This will assist in reducing any swelling and hopefully allow the prolapsed item to be drawn back into the body. It is best to immobilize the turtle to prevent the animal from stepping on it, dragging it, cutting it, or even severing it while it walks and/or struggles. If it goes back in on it's own, that's great. If not, once the swelling has gone down, you can GENTLY try to assist it back into the vent. If you do not feel comfortable with this, it's not working out or you think there is possibly damage to the prolapsed material, then get the turtle to a qualified vet. The vet will assist the animal, sometimes surgically, in returning the intestines to their proper place. At times, removal of a section of the intestinal tract is required, especially if the exposed tract becomes injured. The vet will also suture a purse string to help prevent this from happening again.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:39 am   Re: What is this

That's what I thought. I put him in an isolated tank. Going to look for a vet. I wonder if it's because he tried to eat a small goldfish? There is no gravel in the new pond.
pan1k

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 pm   Re: What is this

Not sure. Is the turtle a male? Maybe it was fanning gone wrong?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:16 pm   Re: What is this

Update: Itchy is ok. I read somewhere to sprinkle table sugar on the affected area to reduce swelling. I had to go to the airport to pick up relatives and was going to take him to the local vet.. and problem went away. Thanks for responding Steve, at least I know my local vet's contact info now.
pan1k

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:12 am   Re: What is this

Oh, glad he's OK... that was a pretty scary sight0
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care