General Care Discussion :: Change in Activity level

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:39 pm   Change in Activity level

Hello all!
I have an adult RES that I adopted last September. She has adjusted well to better diet, proper heat and lighting. She has been as active as I expected an 8" turtle to be. This week, I moved her to a 75 gallon tank from the about 40 gallon tub she was in. She has a lot more swimming room, and a bigger basking area. She is all over the place! She has been more active than I have ever seen since I've had her. Her water temp is still about 76F, basking area stays between 85-90F. My crazy question is, Is she just happy with the bigger tank, or should I be concerned something is wrong? She is still basking and climbing in and out of the water often. She went from just chilling most of the time to really active, and almost constant begging.

Thanks! Michele :)
Michele108

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 am   Re: Change in Activity level

Your turtle is as hyper as mine!
:D
Mine is super hyper, running everywhere and bolting for the water whenever she sees someone, then she 'stands' on the filter and stares at me.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:08 pm   Re: Change in Activity level

She's not normally been hyper, but she is now! She's still eating well, seems to be adjusting to the bigger tank quite well. Just thought I'd ask if this is a bad thing. lol
Michele108

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm   Re: Change in Activity level

Sounds pretty good :) What's the new setup look like?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:02 pm   Re: Change in Activity level

Right now this is what she's in. I want to build something for the top so that I can fill the tank all the way and use a better filter. I've looked at many of the photos on here for ideas. Just haven't come up with a plan yet that will work for my tank and my available space. She HAD a couple bunches of hornwort in with her, but the little piggy chowed it all down! Thanks for all the help! :)
Attachments
Shelly.jpg
Michele108

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:23 pm   Re: Change in Activity level

Yes, there are a few ideas to raise the water level without building something large.. though that's up to you.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion