Urgent Care :: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:24 pm   Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

My boyfriend and I have had two RES turtles for two years and one has grown much faster than the other. They were in the same tank until one day I saw the smaller one had chips on the back of his shell...I immediately researched what to do and have been dry docking him for a week with rehydration for 30 minutes twice a day. He has both a basking and UVB light over the dry dock for 12 hours a day and after rehydration, I apply betadine with an extra soft toothbrush to the chipped areas. However, I just noticed that his shell is maybe a bit softer than normal...it may just be me over-worrying about him though, and the areas around the chipped parts are getting darker. I am worried about him and don't know what to do. My boyfriend thinks that I can not take him to a vet because he is not "legal" size yet, but I am worried if I don't take him, I will not be able to provide the correct care to nurse him back to health. I have read up on it some more and other people are saying that you should only dry dock a younger turtle for a few hours a day. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what I can do? I have an appointment with a vet on Monday morning (today is Saturday).

Here are some photos...hope you guys can see!
file:///Users/Kate/Google%20Drive/Sami%20Photos/20160813_133039.jpg

file:///Users/Kate/Google%20Drive/Sami%20Photos/20160813_133034.jpg

file:///Users/Kate/Google%20Drive/Sami%20Photos/20160813_133049.jpg

file:///Users/Kate/Google%20Drive/Sami%20Photos/20160813_133024.jpg
katemay17

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:25 pm   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

Your pictures aren't showing up. Have you tried a site like Photobucket?
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:19 am   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

Here is a link that should work... http://s61.photobucket.com/user/katemay17/slideshow/
katemay17

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:15 pm   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

Yes he can be taken to the vet. Considering the severity of the infection (shell rot?) or injury, he will likely need antibiotics.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:52 pm   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

Thank you. I took him to the vet yesterday and he said I should keep applying neosporin, but should no longer dry dock him. He have him an antibiotic shot and said to return in two weeks if I don't see any progress.
katemay17

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:29 pm   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

Any idea how this happened? And try to feel better, we all feel really bad about dealing with a pet with health issues.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:48 pm   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the bigger RES bit the smaller one. I don't know why, but that would be my only guess because nothing else I can think of would have resulted in the same wounds. He seems to be doing ok, although I haven't seen much change. Hoping he heals up quick! Thanks for the uplifting comment, it does make me feel a little better :)
katemay17

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:30 am   Re: Chipped shell near tail...what can I do?

Considering that it has not spread would make me think it was an attack as well :(
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care