Urgent Care :: Help with my turtle shell

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:16 am   Help with my turtle shell

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any answer. :msgreen:
How big is your turtle? About 2 inches
How long have you had it? 1 month long, got her for a girl who didn't want her any more.

What is the water temperature? 24º to 27º
Did you use a thermometer? Yes. One in the water one in the basking
Are you using a water heater? Not now, we live on a hot hot place... but if the temperature decrease we have one ready
How much water is in there? 70 ltr
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes. Tetra brand, aqua safe liquid
Are you using any filtration? Yes. Regular filter recommended in the shop for 1500 L/h

What is the basking temperature? Between 30º and 32º
Is there a basking light? Yes. Fuxin brand, full spectrum sun UVA+UVB 3.0
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes it is. She pretty much lives there all the time :)
What kind is it or what is it made out of? It's a piece of wood, and a plastic plataform
Is there a UVB light? Yes and UVA

What have you been trying to feed it? Yes. She eats a lot and beg for food even more
When was the last time your turtle ate? Not eating problems now, her appetite still very open ;)

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? Tank is between 150 or 160 ltr
Is the tank near a window? No is not
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Not really

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes. Few times
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes and it's looks like overfeeding and fungus, but it haven't improve

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Yes. Our concern is that the carapace has two withe spots under water. When she is dry, all the carapace looks very grayish like if the color is fading. I couldn't feel the shell softer than before. In the plastron, she has some yellow, quite orange spots too.
By other hand, despite several efforts, the water is quite cloudy, in a white shadow. We been doing partial changes of water every 2 or 3 days to control that, and isn't getting worse, but isn't getting better.

In any case her mood still the same, she is very active, likes to play with the water current, hide in the plants, getting lot of sun in her basking area and beg for food every time we are close by.

We will really appreciate any advise. Thanks again... pictures are down here.
Attachments
tmp_2868-20160812_124347-143699994.jpg
tmp_2868-20160812_1239092080650891.jpg
20160812_160826.jpg
20160812_160805.jpg
Leolina

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:46 am   Re: Help with my turtle shell

I agree, it's fungus. Will you be able to get some silver sulfadiazine cream? It normally requires a prescription.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm   Re: Help with my turtle shell

I'm not sure if we'll be able to get it. I have now Bactroban, will be OK? Thanks again
Leolina

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:40 am   Re: Help with my turtle shell

my turtle has the same condition, can't get silver sulfadiazine because when i requested for it, they asked why. so i said 'my turtle has shell fungus"
then they just laughed... my mom insisted we buy liquid anti-fungal and guess what, it didnt do much
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:08 pm   Re: Help with my turtle shell

Bactroban looks like it's for bacterial, not fungal. Where are you located? SSD is not turtle or even animal specific, they use this in hospitals and for burns.

@HelperTurtle123 - who did you ask?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:40 pm   Re: Help with my turtle shell

Hi. We managed to get the ssd. Will start treatment today.
Any other advice?
Leolina

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 pm   Re: Help with my turtle shell

I'd have a place to dry dock him, overnight if possible. First dry dock, wait until the shell is completely dry and apply a very small amount. In the morning, the shell might be greasy/slippery, so carefully clean it off and place him back into the tank for the day.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care