Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi from New York!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:23 pm   Hi from New York!

My father recently came across a RES in the street, so he decided to take her in.
We had a RES growing up, but now that i'm reading into it and researching more, we obviously weren't taking care of it as well as we should've. I want to change that this time. Our newest addition is a 7" shelled female RES who had laid 2 eggs while we were still looking for a tank to place her in. She ended up crawling over them and killing them both. :( .
I came across an ad for a 30G tank with filters, turtle topper + accessories. To my surprise, the seller was also including her 3yr old female RES as well. I was reluctant at first, but decided to accept, giving the two turtle some companionship.
At first, the smaller turtle was biting at the hind legs of the larger turtle. The larger turtle never retaliated and it took about 2-3 days for the smaller turtle to control her biting (I also placed a turtle bone in the tank, which might've helped).
I'm currently feeding them pellets with occasional lettuce or cabbage. The water gets filthy pretty quickly, as I change the tank's water once every 4-5 days. I use a water conditioner and sludge destroyer, but are there any bottom feeders or live plants that can help with the mess?

Items I currently have:
30G Tank
Two - TC#20 filters (worthless)
Turtle Topper
Heating Lamp
UV Lamp
Turtle Bones
Growth Formula Turtle Pellets
Water Conditioner
Sludge Destroyer

What other items do you suggest? Can I place fish within the same tank?
Also, I will be travelling for 2 weeks, is there a food source that could last that long? Live plants, feeder fish, aqua blocks?

Thanks All ! :msgreen: :msgreen:
Last edited by TrapaniNYC on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
TrapaniNYC

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:27 pm   Re: Hi from New York!

Hi, are you certain the smaller turtle is a female? You just have too much turtle in a 30 gallon tank. A 120+ gallon should be considered, and that's if they get along. So in a 30 gallon, the best you can do is frequent water changes as no amount of chemicals/filtration is going to help much.

As for food over 2 weeks, I would have someone check in on them everyday. Since there is a history of aggression, you need someway to monitor that.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.