Habitat - Indoor :: Lighting for 120 Gallon Tank and Condo

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 pm   Lighting for 120 Gallon Tank and Condo

I recently got a 120 gallon tank and a condo tank from glasscages.com. The only thing I need to sort out before moving my turtle in is the lighting. I'm assuming the heat lamp would only need to be over the condo, right? Would the UV light need to be over the entire tank? Any other suggestions for the lighting setup?

Thanks!
ZAxel

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:47 pm   Re: Lighting for 120 Gallon Tank and Condo

Both should be over the basking area. If you have the vertical space for it, you might consider a MVB lamp which is a single lamp the provides heat/UVB.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:14 pm   Re: Lighting for 120 Gallon Tank and Condo

steve wrote:Both should be over the basking area. If you have the vertical space for it, you might consider a MVB lamp which is a single lamp the provides heat/UVB.

So I don't need any lights over the part of the tank without the basking area? And how much vertical space would I need for a mercury vapor bulb lamp?
ZAxel

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:33 am   Re: Lighting for 120 Gallon Tank and Condo

Depending on the strength, it might need to be 12" or more away. Large dome fixtures are pretty big too. Some choose to hang them from the ceiling or some sort of plant hanger off the wall.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:17 pm   Re: Lighting for 120 Gallon Tank and Condo

If your going with an mvb you might consider a Mega-Ray bulb.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Habitat - Indoor