Urgent Care :: Neglected Slider

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:49 pm   Neglected Slider

Hello, all. I recently visited my friends house to feed her dogs while she was on vacation and found a turtle in pretty poor condition. I know he needs help, but I'm not sure what to do for him so any advice is appreciated. I can upgrade him to a 20 or 30 gallon come Friday, anId he's already got a uvb bulb. I can get him a heat and night lamp as well, and a basking spot.

How big is your turtle? He's about 4-5 inches, maybe a little bigger.
How long have you had it? My friend had him for six years, I've only had him since today.

What is the water temperature? I'm not sure, it felt colder than my fish tank, which hovers around 75 degrees.
Did you use a thermometer? No.
Are you using a water heater? There was one in the tank, but it doesn't feel like it's working.
How much water is in there? When I arrived at the house the tank was completely full of water, now it's only a few inches high.
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes, they had aqua safe conditioner.
Are you using any filtration? No filtration.

What is the basking temperature? I'm not sure.
Is there a basking light? No.
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? I put a ceramic glass inside the tank, but there wasn't when I got to the house.
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Ceramic mug.
Is there a UVB light? Yes. A 60 watt coil bulb.

What have you been trying to feed it? Yes, I tried giving him red shrimp, but he didn't eat it.
When was the last time your turtle ate? I'm not sure.

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? He's in a large critter keeper, maybe around five gallons, definitely under ten.
Is the tank near a window? Yes.
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Yes.

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes.
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes.

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? He would not move. When I opened the tank and brought him out he didn't move or open his eyes, but his leg twitched. Also, he will be visiting the vet in the next week, I'd just like advice on how to make him happy for the time being.

http://imgur.com/a/wi4dA
FishnChips

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:07 am   Re: Neglected Slider

Hi, the uvb probably needs replacing. They also don't usually come in 60W, so this might not be a proper bulb. You will want to add more water, so incase the turtle flips over he will not drown. You'll need to clean the shell and give him a careful inspection. Grab a new toothbrush and give a gentle scrub. He will scratch, claw and maybe pee, so be prepared. You will need to do better on the tank... Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale, so you can pick up a 55 gallon for $55 or a 40 gallon breeder for $40. If that's out of budget, keep looking into craigslist for deals.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:20 pm   Re: Neglected Slider

The 30 gallon is all I can do until I can find someone else who would be able to take him in. It isn't a money issue it's a spacing issue. Thank you for the reply.
FishnChips

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:18 pm   Re: Neglected Slider

What about a large plastic storage container? You can't really fill them up more than halfway, but you can find some pretty large ones to use.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care