Urgent Care :: Baby RES dead?? HELP

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 pm   Baby RES dead?? HELP

This baby turtle was given to me about 3 days ago by someone who was unable to care for it. I didn't mind taking it because I wanted a companion for my much larger RES Donnie. I had an extra 30 gallon tank so I am using that as the babies quarantine for now. This little guy is the size of a half dollar. He/she seemed fine the first day, didn't really move around much but I just assumed it was from stress. The second day I woke up to it basking and throughout the day he seemed to do a lot of sleeping. The third day I woke to him holding the basking rock with his front legs and his back end soaking in the water. (His water was sitting at 79 degrees) A few hours later I came back to check on him and he was floating right side up in the water. I thought nothing of it because.... Well... He wasn't upside down. I came back an hour later and he was in the same exact spot so I picked him up and he didn't respond. No movement what so ever... Panic set in and I kept moving the legs and trying to keep the head up, talking to him... Nothing.. Crying frantically and assuming the worst... Is he really dead???!!! Then I started to research online and their were others that said you could revive them. Even people saying they buried theirs, dug it up a day later and still brought theirs back to life... Is this really possible? It has been over 24hours now since I found him unresponsive. I did get water out of him but their is still no movement. His eyes are sunken in but I can still move his arms and legs so it's not like he's stiff. His eyes weren't sunk in until my husband suggested using an extra air pump that we had for the fish tank. He sat it in front of his face and that's when I noticed his eyes started to sink in drastically so I unplugged it. Has anyone else experienced this?? Shouldn't he be stiff?? Please help!
Donnie

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:31 am   Re: Baby RES dead?? HELP

I think he passed away, sorry. The real issue is how he was kept before you took him. Hatchlings need to eat regularly, and many are so stressed that they don't and don't last more than a couple of weeks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 am   Re: Baby RES dead?? HELP

I guess my love for animals just doesn't want to fully accept or acknowledge that he's gone :-(. Even though he isn't hard and I can still move his limbs... Your right though, I have no clue how his care was before or even where he was purchased from. Poor baby :-(
Donnie

Return to Urgent Care