Urgent Care :: New to turtlehood

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:46 pm   New to turtlehood

So someone was getting rid of their RES so I decided to take him in and (when school starts) have him as our class pet. This guy is approx 18 yrs old, was never under proper lights, in enough water, or fed anything other than pellets. So I have gotten him lights and a basking area and given him more water and am waiting for a water heater. Today I tried giving him some lettuce and he didn't touch it. He took shredded carrot from my hand but let other pieces sink. I've been feeding him too much pellets based on what I see everyone saying here so I want to try some different things, it just seems like he's very hungry. I'm noticing his shell is shedding but I think that's because he's never been under the proper lights so I hope that slows down now. Is there anything else I am missing? I want to do what's best for him but I need help!
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:55 am   Re: New to turtlehood

Shell shedding is actually a good thing. Try a veggie clip for the lettuce and scale back the pellets anyway.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm   Re: New to turtlehood

So for like the rest of the vegetables (carrots or even sweet potato), do you just let them sink to the bottom? I feel like he doesn't even look at the bottom of the tank.
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:07 am   Re: New to turtlehood

I have usual feeding times, so my RES know when to expect food. I don't use much, and they usually go after what I offer them quickly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:16 pm   Re: New to turtlehood

Do they eat right from your hand? I don't know that Koopa will ever do that for me!
Heather

1 RES approx 18 Koopa
1 goldendoodle Brighton
1 labradoodle Remington
Skippy204

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 am   Re: New to turtlehood

They do though I don't usually do it. They go after food so aggressively, I might get bitten if I'm not careful.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care