Habitat - Indoor :: ///filter recommendations\\\

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:38 am   ///filter recommendations\\\

I have a 75 gal* filled up with Id guess 60 gallons on water I'm desperately needing a bigger filter I've read fluval is great but also very expensive I was looking at a marine land emperor filter but I think that's more for fish? I'm looking for suggestions for a filter around $100 if possible
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:19 am   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

I would lean towards an AquaClear. Is this a new tank or are you planning an upgrade soon? What's in the tank... how many turtles?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 am   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

I go by my own general rule of a bare minimum of double the filtration ratio per gallon. For a 75 gallon. You can nearly triple the ratio at an affordable price range give or take between 110 to 120 dollars or double the ratio for around 80 to 100 dollars. The more the better, less overall cleaning would be needed there for saving time and less labor. Steve has a good point on asking how many turtles you have in it as well. If you can triple the ratio, you would be better off. AquaClear is a good brand and affordable too.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:16 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Just one turtle he's maybe a year and about 4 inches in she'll length I won't be upgrading hopefully for awhile.. Will check out an aqua clear filter and I figured double if not triple the ratio of gallons. Just needed a Recomendation for a good one. Clearly you can spend upwards of a few hundred I just don't have the money. So I'll check out Aqua clear if you have any others let me know. Thank you for the quicks responses
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:46 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Alright I think I've narrowed it down between a fluval 406 OR a marineland c530? Which one should I choose?
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:24 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Maxtegroom wrote:Alright I think I've narrowed it down between a fluval 406 OR a marineland c530? Which one should I choose?

I am not a fan of canister filtration systems mainly fluval and with the 406 filtration of only up to 100 gallons, It is not even double the ratio for even 60 gallons in a 75 gallon tank. The marineland c530 goes up to 150 gallons so that equals to 2 and 1/2 times ratio per gallon.

So out of the two that you picked out (if those two were my choices and only choices) , In my opinion it would be clear on the marineland c530
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:50 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

not a fan of the external filter but i havent seen a in tank 100+ gal filter... any suggestions?
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:04 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

so it looks like im going to get an external filter its the right thing to do so i guess ill just start reading reviews.

is jbj a good company
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:08 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Well I went with a penn plax 1500. I hope I made a good decision I did a lil research basically it had the most and highest reviews on Amazon. Hope I made a good decision, thoughts?
Maxtegroom

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:21 am   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Haven't really used much of their stuff. Looks pretty good with plenty of media baskets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 am   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Penn Plax 1500 I have seen used in one of the several major pet shops here and I have seen a few used in a local reptile store here as well. I never owned Plenn Plax equipment myself but they did the job on tanks 100 gallons to 150 well. I seen one turtle set up in the local store that they used a Penn Plax 1500 on but the tank was huge, 300 gallon plus custom made. In that tank, nope it did not do so well.

In your situation, I think it would be perfect however.
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:08 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

I have a 50 gallon tank with one rescued turtle believed to be a Cumberland Slider washed down river in the huge flood in Nashville a few years ago. He is now the size of a small dinner plate. I have been using two Exo Terra FX200 filters for over two years, and they have done great. Unfortunately I think one of them has filtered its last water. It seems to be them impeller that is no longer working properly. So I will be looking for a replacement. I have seen several different ones mentioned here, but I am not familiar with any of them. I would welcome any suggestions and explanations of the differences. I understand many here do not seem to favor the canister filters but I live in a small condo so space is limited.
Ceilteachcroi

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:46 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

Do you mean "do favor"? Is your tank on a stand?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:27 pm   Re: ///filter recommendations\\\

When it comes to turtles canisters are the best way to go !
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Return to Habitat - Indoor