Urgent Care :: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm   MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

My turtle only has been here for 2 1/2 weeks, She only at a few pieces of fish and a few little bites of romaine lettuce. she only ate twice out of the 2 1/2 weeks i've had her gave her eart worm and she just marched on top of it and ignored it. My turtle is very lethargic doesn't eat very well and just stays on her basking rock and sleep. She has a basking rock, UVA Lamp, filter, and water pump for currents so the water doesn't stay stagnant. Has puffy eye and bulges sometimes.. She also lost a claw and it looks like her finger/digits is deteriorating. My family doesn't have that much money to take it to a vet.
Last edited by SHYB on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHYB

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:06 pm   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

How big is your turtle? 4 Inches
How long have you had it? 2-3 weeks

What is the water temperature? Should be around 75 with my heater
Did you use a thermometer? no
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? Close to 16 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? no
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature?Around 88 or 92
Is there a basking light? Yes UVA and Radiant Heat
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Rock i found in my back yard
Is there a UVB light? No just UVA and radiant heat

What have you been trying to feed it? Repto-min but hasnt ate any yet, Peices of fish ate only tiny peices of that and lost interest. Romaine Lettuce but only taken small bites
When was the last time your turtle ate? About a week ago

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 16 gallons
Is the tank near a window? no
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Sometimes

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yea but not exactly like mines

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? like i said only White Puffy eyelids that seem horrible
SHYB

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:38 pm   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

Can you post a picture? If the turtle can't see, it won't eat. I would try applying cod liver oil to the eyes and also soak the turtle in 50% pedialyte and 50% water. Use a small container and leave a crew crumbled up pellets in there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:54 pm   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

https://s32.postimg.org/vkkzzfdvp/20160629_200306_2.jpg
https://postimg.org/image/82fzfeq47/

she never ate reptomin while she was in a small container or in her regular tank. She only ate little to no bites of romaine lettuce or small peices of fish then lose complete interest and start basking for hours
SHYB

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 am   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

How did she lose the nail? Does she open them occasionally?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:22 am   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

Honestly i don't know i was just observing her and i saw she lost a nail and her hand is kinda deteriorating
SHYB

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 am   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

Dry docking is required for minor injuries but its hard to figure out a course of treatment since there might be several things going on. They main issue would be to get her to eat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 am   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

I don't know how to get her to do that .. I've tried everything
SHYB

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:03 am   Re: MY TURTLE HAS WHITE FILM WHEN CLOSED EYES

Try some of the things in my first reply.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care