Habitat - Indoor :: Caves

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:14 am   Caves

I've searched this forum and found a few diy ideas, but I was wondering if anyone has found a commercially available cave structure large enough for a full frown RES. It seems that anything that companies make for turtles is for baby turtles. It makes me sad because I know people are just getting rid of turtles when they get too big.(possibly because it's hard to find things for big turtles?) Has anyone come across ANY big underwater caves? Thanks. :?:
xanatizer

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:10 am   Re: Caves

I have not seen any that large and since females can be up to 12" SCL, I'm not sure if you want something like that in your tank. It'll be a good opportunity to create something though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:09 pm   Re: Caves

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Turtles are 'cute' to most people while they're small, but lose the attraction as they grow. The sad reality of it is that 4" turtles are the most sold by pet stores and so they want to sell items that fit a 4" turtle.

However, on the DIY route:
I think a 6 quart oil drain pan would be a perfect starting point. A hot knife or Dremel tool should make short work of cutting opening(s), then you can decorate with rock, plants, sand, etc to fit your decor.
http://www.coxhardware.com/p-3011-round ... quart.aspx
spork

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:00 am   Re: Caves

I made a large open cave from limestone and JB Weld "waterweld" epoxy.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Habitat - Indoor