Urgent Care :: MITES ON TURTLE!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:24 pm   MITES ON TURTLE!

THE SECRET IS FINALLY REVEALED! SKIN PEELING OF TURTLE AND LOSS OF APPETITE! THIS IS DEFIANTLY THE JOB OF MITES! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: GRRRRRRRRRRRR DO ANY ONE OF U KNOW HOW TO CURE EXTERNAL MITES? HELP
-anonymous <3 forever xox
elishawang

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:11 am   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

Mites is not a normal thing for them to get. You should review everything about their environment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:21 pm   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

ok
elishawang

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:35 am   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

How is he doing?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:15 pm   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

right now, they're doing fine, i talked to a person that works in a store on turtles and he said that the temperature it low, and it was proven so too.... but the turtle (bigger one), his hind legs are not moving! that makes him not able to swim!!!!!!! and i'm afraid he'll drown! :(
elishawang

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:37 pm   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

It's a real unusual symptom, I hope he's alright.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:29 pm   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

thanks, it's eating again! :) (lishy) but the girl, elisha, isn't doing well.....
elishawang

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:30 am   Re: MITES ON TURTLE!

I know what you're going through. Though instead of animals, I used to grow crops in a small plant bed I have in the backyard - my tomatoes and apple tree were infested with spider mites and the symptoms were there. :(

I have 1 possible (and safest) solution for the mite infestation you have based on IPM, but because these are pets and a closed environment that we are dealing with it may be ineffective. You can try to disinfect the tank and items. The next time you clean, place the turtles in another space and try washing the tank and its materials in hot water. Most common mites cannot survive in water or in high temperature so this should kill them and remove any eggs. Careful not to burn yourself when attempting this.

Do not try to use any chemical or pesticide to remove the mites. This can be a hazard to your turtles and cause damage to the materials in the tank depending on its attributes such as the acidity.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
Protracturtle

Return to Urgent Care