Urgent Care :: Getting injured turtle to eat.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:45 pm   Getting injured turtle to eat.

I had a pair of red eared slider turtles 4 years ago and kept them for two years. After two years I let them loose in my farm pond and have been in great shape for 2 years. I see them regularly and even feed them pellets sometimes. However, I found one on the bank and some animal chewed up one of the turtles' legs very badly. I took it to the vet and am now treating the turtle. Now I am trying to get the turtle to eat. I have fed lettuce, live earthworms, and turtle pellets, but the turtle hasn't eaten yet. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can feed it? The turtle is still very alert and I see it drinking water very frequently. What is the best food to get him eating again?

Thanks,
Tom
rockytop02

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:09 am   

try smelly foods like canned tuna, sardines, brine shrimp etc...
bradhart

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:12 am   

How much and how often should the turtle be eating? Thanks for the input so far.

Tom
rockytop02

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:12 pm   

how big are they? a hatchling (less than a year) should be fed every day the amount of food that would fit inside its head excluding the neck. older res shold be fed fish/pellets etc every other day, and veggies on the off days.... lots of idea on the forum about feeding
bradhart

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:08 pm   

Make sure the tuna, etc. is packed in water, not oil. Try also some pink salmon, hard boiled egg whites. These foods are all high in protein, though, so once the turtle's eating switch to lower protein foods, plant matter. Will the turtle eat from your hand? If so, you could make these foods more nutritious by mixing them with some non-phosphorus powdered calcium supplement. Let us know how your turtle is doing.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Urgent Care