Urgent Care :: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 am   URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

I have a Red Eared Slider.Jill is 4 months old.She hasn't eaten anything in the past 20 days so we took her to the Vet and he injected her last night with anti biotics after weighing her. Since then she has not opened her eyes or moved. When we checked her after a few hours at night, her head was sloppy, in the morning she seemed a little stiff, but still no movement and her eyes are sunk in. There is no smell at all. What does this mean and what should i do?
akshataidnani

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:28 pm   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

this happened to my turtle as well, she was very stiff after the antibiotics. For me my turtle had a 50/50 chance of living, she died... So your turtle is stiff right? My one was stiff for at least three days then died so i leave this to the more experienced turtle owners, maybe it is the same thing for you, a 50/50 chance..

The best thing to do im guessing is just leave her be. Wait until she makes a move or... You know... Passes away.

By the way, how many gallons are your tank, do you have UVA/UVB lights and a basking spot?
Fish keeper & Turtle know it all... Ish
Rizvan

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:50 pm   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Sorry to hear it but I think she passed away. You can wait a little while, but I think people put them in freezers to make sure. :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

sorry for your loss :(
Rizvan

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 am   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Thank you for your response. Its a 10 gallon tank. And yes i have a basking spot . I give them a whole lot of sunlight everyday but no UVA/UVB light as yet. How do i know when she has passed away? Because there is no smell and i dont want to But her untill im really sure. Also do any of you know the reason for this ? Is it because of the anti biotic?
akshataidnani

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:28 am   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Eyes sunken in and stiff body are usually the signs. I don't think any smells or odors will develop quickly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 pm   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Oh ok :( R.I.P Jill. Im really going to miss her.
akshataidnani

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 am   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Sorry.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 am   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

akshataidnani wrote:Thank you for your response. Its a 10 gallon tank. And yes i have a basking spot . I give them a whole lot of sunlight everyday but no UVA/UVB light as yet. How do i know when she has passed away? Because there is no smell and i dont want to But her untill im really sure. Also do any of you know the reason for this ? Is it because of the anti biotic?

Yeah, it's usually the anti biotic being to hard on the baby turtles.
She might have died due to metabolic shell desiease ( when you don't have a UVB/UVA )

R.I.P jill
Rizvan

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:05 pm   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Rizvan wrote:
akshataidnani wrote:Thank you for your response. Its a 10 gallon tank. And yes i have a basking spot . I give them a whole lot of sunlight everyday but no UVA/UVB light as yet. How do i know when she has passed away? Because there is no smell and i dont want to But her untill im really sure. Also do any of you know the reason for this ? Is it because of the anti biotic?

She might have died due to metabolic shell desiease ( when you don't have a UVB/UVA )

R.I.P jill

I would lean more towards the antibiotic. MBD should be more generous in terms of "warning" people when it happens. Plus, there are a number of hobbyists who use dietary D3 without the lighting, and their turtles don't seem to have experienced any health drawbacks. I'll probably get in trouble for saying that...
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:44 am   Re: URGENT. I cant tell if my RES is alive :(:(

Jeremiah wrote:
Rizvan wrote:

R.I.P jill

I would lean more towards the antibiotic. MBD should be more generous in terms of "warning" people when it happens. Plus, there are a number of hobbyists who use dietary D3 without the lighting, and their turtles don't seem to have experienced any health drawbacks. I'll probably get in trouble for saying that...

Yeah, but it seems like when baby turtles get anti biotics from the vet there's a 50/50 chance of survival :/
Rizvan

Return to Urgent Care