Feeding and Nutrition :: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:20 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

steve wrote:Rosey Red Minnows are bigger and about the same price as a guppy. Don't assume that missing food is eaten... it's possible it was just chewed and the filter picked up the other part.

Yeah, I just noticed the rest of the cricket is gone :shock:

I'll check on the rosey red minnows. So do you suspect anything serious of my turtle? If he doesn't eat the fish, what would that mean?
Fish keeper & Turtle know it all... Ish
Rizvan

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:46 am   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

I don't really know much about mud turtles. Always make sure the temps are correct and that they are eating... then go from there :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:28 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

steve wrote:I don't really know much about mud turtles. Always make sure the temps are correct and that they are eating... then go from there :)

I think for a RES not eating for two weeks is a sign of RI? Im probably wrong about that though :P
So I'll try feeding the fish and if not I'll go to the vet

Ty :mrgreen:
Rizvan

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 am   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

If the temps are good, and RES don't want to eat (anything) for 2 weeks, then I would be concerned. It's normal for them to get moody sometimes but after keeping them for a few years, you pick up on the behavioral quirks.

I'd especially be concerned with a small turtle not eating.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:09 am   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

steve wrote:If the temps are good, and RES don't want to eat (anything) for 2 weeks, then I would be concerned. It's normal for them to get moody sometimes but after keeping them for a few years, you pick up on the behavioral quirks.

I'd especially be concerned with a small turtle not eating.

Yeah ok, so do I just hold the fish tail or use a tweezer?
Everything else is normal, it's just he won't eat...
Rizvan

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

Hey Steve, I have a picture of him basking. Would you like to see the picture to see if any things wrong with him? I can't really spot anything but I'm no expert on turtles, you know, just to be safe.
Rizvan

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:58 am   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

Sure, I'll take a look but a picture doesn't show everything. Turtles are pretty good at hiding their illnesses.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:22 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

steve wrote:Sure, I'll take a look but a picture doesn't show everything. Turtles are pretty good at hiding their illnesses.

Yeah I've read that
Rizvan

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:22 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

How do you send a photo on mobile?
Rizvan

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:00 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

I think you need to use a 3rd party host like imgur or photobucket. You can also email it to me and I'll post it for you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

Rizvan

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

You could also try some freeze dried shrimp. They smell really strong and all my turtles love them.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:20 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

I can tell you how to use photo bucket if you need help with it. That's how I post here :-) pm me.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:55 pm   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

Yeah that's what I fed him... OMG, he just tried to bite his shell/hind legs then when crazy and swam around twice.. I'm really worried now, what do you guys suspect is happening?
Rizvan

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:44 am   Re: 4 month old turtle not eating ( Mississipi Mud Turtle )

Hey guys, Murdle ( the turtle ) has died. Last night his eyes were shut but he was alive, basking.. I petted him in the shell, he seemed all right.. Today I found him flipped over under water, lifeless...

R.I.P Murdle and thank you all for your help. I'll send a picture to you guys hold on :(
Last edited by Rizvan on Sun May 22, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rizvan

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition