Urgent Care :: Burn on turtle shell? Please help.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:02 pm   Burn on turtle shell? Please help.

My friends had to emergency move last night, they brought their turtles over to the new place first, and during the night the water heater ended up touching one of the red eared sliders shells.

Now theirs brow spot on the shale about the size of a quarter.

She seems to have an appetite and be moving around okay. Does my friend need to take her to a vet, or is this the kind of thing that will clear up on its own?
LeviTompkins

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:52 am   Re: Burn on turtle shell? Please help.

Any pictures? The shells go get darker as they grow, it might just be that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:43 am   Re: Burn on turtle shell? Please help.

Hard to say but yes I am with Steve 100 percent on photos and it can be something very minor to something you may want to monitor very carefully. The way you identified it and the turtles activity after the issue , does seem like this will be a minor issue really. How long was the heat lamp on top of the turtle for? You may want to take some natural Aloe gel and highly dilute it with water to the point that it can barley be sprayed but without a lot of force from a spray bottle that you can use more or less for soothing purposes at least 1 to 2 times a day. But do not make it where the gel sticks to the turtle for your knowledge and education. You never want anything ever that can trap in any type of infection at all ever. This is not the case here but that just gives you a example of how some problems gets underway. I have seen burns lead to these situations over time of course but keep in mind, this just happened and the turtle is acting normal so you pretty much are in the clear from what I can tell based on your wording. Good luck with everything and feel free to message me at anytime as well.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Urgent Care