Urgent Care :: Possible cut around mouth?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:26 pm   Possible cut around mouth?

I have had my turtle for about a month now and he's been fine, always has. But recently I noticed he hasn't been eating much or at all. He looks for food but when he goes to eat it he spits it out(I've been feeding him pellets and baby dried up shrimp). He always ate it before without a problem but I did notice the other day it looks like he has a white looking possible cut right at the end of his mouth. Is this anything serious or just a simple cut? I did have a fake tree in there with him which I recently took out after noticing, could this have cut him?
libretti91

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:16 am   Re: Possible cut around mouth?

It might be a cut... do you have a picture of it? Of the tree? If there are no sharp/small edges, he would more likely chip his beak.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 pm   Re: Possible cut around mouth?

I don't have the plant anymore, I threw it out once I noticed his cut. He loved to hide in it a lot so that's what is making me believe he cut himself, if it is a cut.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (168.95 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
libretti91

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 am   Re: Possible cut around mouth?

It does look like something happened. How does it look when he opens his mouth?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:30 pm   Re: Possible cut around mouth?

It doesn't change appearance when he opens his mouth really. It just looks as if it is a cut because it does separate top from bottom when he opens it. Not sure how to best explain it
libretti91

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:02 pm   Re: Possible cut around mouth?

I think I know what you mean. There is a thin layer of skin that stretches when they open their mouths wide. I don't know if there is anything you can do about it though... it would be the first instance of this type of situation (on this site) that I'm aware of.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 pm   Re: Possible cut around mouth?

It does look like a cut from the results of the plant or tree mentioned. You will want to monitor it encase of a later infection. Can I recommend trying to offer frozen / thawed food so that it is soft for your turtle child to consume to prevent irritation within its mouth? I sometimes combine omega one to a bit of blood worms to entice feeding.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Urgent Care