Urgent Care :: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:57 am   Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

Have you experienced this? give some advice. Before I go to a Veterinarian. However I live in small town I bet there are not great Veterinarians anyways
My carefree sister bought him from shop and don't care
He eats nothing for few Months. I wonder how hes still alive. IF I would save him I will buy a tank and some good stuff for his care. I don't want to his die.
LeonHart

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:33 pm   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

Can you fill out some of the info here: viewtopic.php?t=2142

Any pics will greatly help as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:15 pm   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

thanks.

How big is your turtle? 5 or 6cm
How long have you had it? 1 year

What is the water temperature? i can't measure because i don't have measurer right now.
Did you use a thermometer? unfortunately no
Are you using a water heater? no
How much water is in there? about 1.5 l
Are you using a water conditioner? no
Are you using any filtration? damn no

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light?
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Is there a UVB light?

now he lives in a little bucket with full of water. I put a big stone for basking and climbing ,on previous set-up before that. in both case i didn't measure any temp. and never used UVB, only sunlight..

What have you been trying to feed it? dried gammarus and turtle sticks
When was the last time your turtle ate? Last early Spring, since September he never eats

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? there is no tank
Is the tank near a window? yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no

Have you read the Basic Care section? no i will read asap
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? i used to do on google can't find good solution. here is my hope

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? like i said only White Puffy eyelids that seem horrible

https://openload.co/f/gffdxYYK4Vk/MOV_0013.mp4------> a video to show he can move.
http://postimg.org/gallery/tz2479jm/a173cc24/--------> photo gallery
LeonHart

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

It could be swollen eyes if there is no filter.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:12 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

Various types of injury or infection can cause a turtle's eyes to be closed or swollen. Dehydration, ear abscesses, chlorine/chloramines, scratches, bacterial infection, trauma, poor water conditions and poor nutrition are readily causes. Furthermore, this is a potential symptom of a Vitamin A deficiency (Hypovitaminosis A), metabolic bone disease or respiratory infection (RI).

The sensitivity of the eyes allows it to be an early detector of other inflictions. All of these conditions can be serious and unrelated; offering Vitamin A will have no effect if RI is present. The delay in proper treatment may even cause greater harm. Consider swollen eyes as a symptom of a greater disease. If other symptoms exist or form, then immediate medical care is required.

If your RES consistently rub their eyes after a water change, you may suspect high levels of chlorine or chloramines. The use of an aquarium water conditioner may help ease the situation. Home remedies for closed eyes may be small amounts of Vitamin A drops or the application of cod-liver oil onto the eyelids. Try to see if the turtle will open its eyes when dry docked. It is, however, best to seek the help of a qualified vet if there are other symptoms, the condition does not improve, or there is no explanation for the cause. Turtles may refuse to eat if they are unable to see. This can cause an onset of other serious medical conditions.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:12 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

I hope your turtle gets well soon!
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

I'd try some Zoo Med Reptile Turtle eye drops or some cod liver oil. If it's only a vitamin a deficiency, you can treat him at home. If that's not the issue, then he would likely need veterinary care but also vast improvements on his setup.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:57 pm   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

steve wrote:I'd try some Zoo Med Reptile Turtle eye drops or some cod liver oil. If it's only a vitamin a deficiency, you can treat him at home. If that's not the issue, then he would likely need veterinary care but also vast improvements on his setup.

I agree with Steve all the way in his response here. Swollen eyes can indicate a few issues however start with what Steve recommended however I believe in what you reported for the last several months could of combined anything from the vitamin A deficiency up to a combined factor of bacterial infections to a RI. It could be a variety of things stemming from the eyes. I would do what Steve said and check the nostrils and mouth area for mucus or small groups of tiny bubbles. Please report back after you do. In the mean time just encase the need is there, research either a exotic vet or herp vet (not a normal cat and dog vet). I drastic enclosure set up should be considered as soon as possible.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:08 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

I have two red eared sliders. Twice a day i put them in the sink with warm water to feed them. This morning i put them in and the oldest one Leonardo,he's two years old, his eyes were white and puffy. I googled it ,found this website,read this post,and in that amount of time his eyes were back to normal. So,What does that mean? Was the water too hot for him?
Kyalaaaa_

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:59 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

It's swollen eyes. Usually caused by dirty water. I've had it a lot of times.
Just apply some cod liver oil to the eyelids and you will be fine.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:01 am   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

The water was probably dirty and the temperature was definitely not the cause of it.
hello there
HelperTurtle123

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:07 pm   Re: Puffy and White Eyelids on Red Eared Slider. NEED HELP.

Possibly Leo was too dry. You might want to review how you have them setup.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care