Urgent Care :: HELP. Baby Box Turtle Unresponsive

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm   HELP. Baby Box Turtle Unresponsive

Hey guys! I need advice asap! I recently welcomed a hatchling box turtle into my turtle family. I went into my room, and found it upside down under the heat lamp. It couldn't have been like that long, because I check on it every so often. BUT, he/she is unresponsive. I'm so scared that the heat lamp has killed it. I am currently soaking it in water, just enough to cover the bottom and not its head, trying to see if I get a response. I really hope the heat lamp has just made him/her too dehydrated to move, and not fried it... I would take it to the vet, but there are no reptile vets here, and even the normal vets are not open until Monday. Any advice?? I feel so terrible. I don't want to accept that she/he is dead, but it's not looking good.. :(
LifeInAShell

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 pm   Re: HELP. Baby Box Turtle Unresponsive

We're not the best forum for your situation but you're doing what I would do and just try to keep him/her comfortable. How intense was the heat lamp? It shouldn't be too strong when used with any kind of hatchling.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:50 pm   Re: HELP. Baby Box Turtle Unresponsive

There is not a lot you can do at this point except what Steve already suggested on keeping it comfortable until you get to see a vet (preferably a exotic or herp vet). Also what Steve mentioned on the intensity of the heat lamp for sure, it should not be strong. You may want a water spray bottle mister to use a 50 percent water to 50 percent Pedialyte (mixture) during the few mist sprays and in the few soaks you give for hydration during this time that you have before a vet office opens. But yes, at this level, a exotic vet or herp vet should be consulted with. There is no forum really that could possibly provide the complete resolution really on the matter. Please note that if severe hydration occurred, keep the mixture in the spray or soaks warm so that it does not put it into shock until you get to the clinic.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Urgent Care