Urgent Care :: NEED MOAR HELP

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:55 pm   NEED MOAR HELP

My turtle started off fine. he is a baby red eared slider. He at first started sleeping alot, waking up when I picked him up or something scared him. now everytime I see him he is 'sleeping'. I'm concerned he is sick. He isn't moving at all now when I move him around, and his eyes are barely open. I've don't see him eat, and he stopped basking in the UV light. He was healthy at one point, now he seems super sluggish and almost dead. There are no visable physical problems with his shell or body. Someone help. I fear he doesn't have much longer.

EDIT: My turtle still only sleeps but now he is sleeping on his platform getting UV rays. He is always sleeping. He doesn't swim at all anymore, and when placed in water. He will just float there with all 4 limbs sprawled out, sometimes tilting lopsided. I read this is called listing. How to I help? Also it seems like he has trouble opening his eyes because they are always closed and he is always scratching at them. The bottom eyelids are somewhat swollen and when he does open his eyes, I can only see part of his pupil due to the swelling eyelid. To get him to eat, I will have to directly place food in front of him.
Last edited by PWNDABEAR on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PWNDABEAR

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:43 pm   Re: Halp

No eating is probably what's causing all these problems. Unfortunately, many hatchings don't quickly adjust well and don't make it. You can try live prey (minnows/guppies) but if he can't see, he won't eat. A soak in some warm water and some unflavored Pedialyte might help too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:12 pm   Re: Halp

steve wrote:No eating is probably what's causing all these problems. Unfortunately, many hatchings don't quickly adjust well and don't make it. You can try live prey (minnows/guppies) but if he can't see, he won't eat. A soak in some warm water and some unflavored Pedialyte might help too.

I fully agree 100 percent with what Steve said above also try frozen blood worms that you thaw out and place it in front of him so he smells the scent. Unflavored Pedialyte for hydration issues sounds great as well in this case and hopefully perks your little one up some.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 pm   Re: NEED MOAR HELP

EDIT BUMP
PWNDABEAR

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 am   Re: NEED MOAR HELP

I don't think there is much that can be done without forcing him to eat. The move to a new home is tremendously stressful for a hatchling. Did you try the Pedialyte? You can leave in some pellet crumbs in there in hopes he drinks some in. What kind of UV lamps are you using? Whats his setup like?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care