Urgent Care :: My RES died

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:37 pm   My RES died

baby res, named sprite, about 2 inches max

had the guy for about 3 weeks

i kept him in this huge tank giving him a HUGE amount of space to play in

got him efficient lighintg, with uva and uvb light, the gravel was bigger than his head, fed him criekets and commercial food everyday,

water temp was fine(79)

suddenly the last few days he started to bask more and i was like... ok thats cool. he also didnt run away like he usually does and im like ... he probably knows im no threat

the last few days I caught him with his eyes closed. i thought he was sleeping. he sometimes have it open and sometimes closed.

i dunno why he died, i did everything by the book
Vertigo

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:41 pm   ummm...cant really help

I dont know what you mean. Did you check if he was dead? like pick him up and wiggle hm around? or did you just see him basking with his eyes closed, and you threw him away? sometimes they get sick, and you cant detect it. I am sorry about your turt though. I knnow wat it feels like to lose a turtle. :cry:
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 pm   

wow...thats odd. did he seem active otherwise? That's just weird. I'm confuzzled. Sorry Sprite died... :cry:
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:54 pm   

he just... died

i picked him up, pulled his arm, touched his head, nothing

he was very active like 3 days before.
Vertigo

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:25 pm   

sorry to here that man .... that is a real bumer :(
mitchy04

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:39 pm   

My case was similar to yours. After owning Myrtle for about 3 weeks-she just died. Same symptoms. Wierd--and sad!! :(
Jane

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:57 pm   

Very sorry about your loss. The poor thing could have been ill when you bought him and hadn't begun to show symptoms. Turtles bought from vendors and some petshops are often kept in unhealthy conditions, which on top of the stress of shipping, cause them to be ill when they're bought by unsuspecting owners. A turtle can be ill for a while and not show it; once symptoms become apparent, though, there's often a limited amount of time to act (get medical help). If a turtle starts behaving in any way that's different from "normal", getting him to a qualified reptile vet is the best thing to do. Again, I'm sorry to hear what happened.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:23 pm   

my frog just died too! whats going on, is there a plague in my room?? I only have one froggy left, and he's handicapped in the leg. *sigh*
Vertigo

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:28 pm   

Well, frogs are reptiles too, so whatever killed your turtle would probably have some effect on your frogs as well, water temps, basking temps, etc. :?
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:20 pm   

I'd do a thorough cleaning of the tank. Did you have the frogs in the same tank as the turtle?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:24 pm   

no frogs were in a separate tank

i think it might have died of old age. had it for about 3 years now. i dont think frogs live for that long. raised them froggies since they were tad poles
Vertigo

Return to Urgent Care