Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:25 pm   New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

Hello all! I don't have my turtle yet, I am making sure my habitat for him/her is perfect before bringing one into my home. I'm hoping for one this weekend though! I only have to pick up a water heater and I will be ready! I had a turtle when I was younger, but of course we knew nothing about them. It was a turtle from my uncle's pond and eventually my dad released him back into the pond because he was just too big. The size they get to be is what has held me off getting one until recently. I wanted to make sure I was prepared to have the ability to care for my baby right til the day he dies, even if that's 50 years from now!

I currently have a 20 gallon set up with a filter, 50 watt heat light, a UVA/UVB light, a turtle dock (2 actually, a small one and a larger one), a couple artificial plants and an airstone (this one I wasn't sure of, some website say yes they should have one, others say don't use one, I'm confused about this topic!).

Any pointers for a new turtle mom would be greatly appreciated! I have a lot of other pets, but this will be my first turtle!
New turtle mom to Quinten, a healthy 4.5" Red Ear Slider Male

Other "Kids": 2 Dogs, 2 Cats, 7 Pet Rats, 4 Male Siamese Fighting Fish, 1 Female Siamese Fighting Fish, 10 Gallon Tropical Aquarium
arabian61

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 pm   Re: New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you are off to a great start, I think you are going to be fine. :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 pm   Re: New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

Thanks Steve! I really hope so but I'm glad I found this site just incase! I just wish it was Saturday!

Other "Kids": 2 Dogs, 2 Cats, 7 Pet Rats, 4 Male Siamese Fighting Fish, 1 Female Siamese Fighting Fish, 10 Gallon Tropical Aquarium
arabian61

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:35 pm   Re: New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

Do you have a submersible water heater yet? Stable temps are particularly important for hatchlings.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:17 pm   Re: New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

I picked one up today so there is a heater now I just have to monitor the temps the next few days and make sure it's set right!

arabian61

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:27 am   Re: New to turtle ownership but super excited!!

Alright, good luck with the baby!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.