Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New red owner.

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:53 pm   New red owner.

I adopted a red from Petco. I went up to get dog food. Came home with a red. I'm a sucker for helpless animals. I got this info when I got her. She's around 3 1\2 female. That's about it. Thank God I have a friend who also has 8 different adopted turtles. So she helped me alot from tank to food etc. I'm just really looking for extra help from anyone. Advice ect to keep her healthy n thriving. I finally got here used to us. She used to hide n duck when we would walk past. Now she follows us from side to side. Crawling out of her water on the rocks. I have treat sticks she also Finally after a month will come get it from my fingers I hold one end n she comes right to me and snatches it.(she's gonna get my finger sooner or later I'm sure). Im just trying to find out does she eat everyday . right now I feed her pellets then every other day a chaser. I feel like I'm not feeding her enough. I tried greens not thrilled. I tried one feeder fish she ate that.(could do without that feeder livething to another. Any help advice would be appreciated.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 am   Re: New red owner.

Welcome to the site! About how much are you feeding her? Overfeeding happens way more than you think and it's better to be a bit conservative when you're not sure.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 pm   Re: New red owner.

Well a chaser is like a grape size. And pellets in normally feed about a quarter of the lid. And it's gone within id say 3-4 min of Bing in the water. Both pellet n chaser but like I said I feed her everything other day alternating pellets skip day chaser skip day.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 pm   Re: New red owner.

Is the chaser the Zilla stuff or does it mean something else? I'd limit to maybe 1-2 times a week or not at all.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:44 pm   Re: New red owner.

Yes it's the zilla chaser. I was just going by what I was told to do. I try to give her more pellets than anything. I've tried greens. No go. Tomatoes yes banana SM piece. Feeder fish yes but i ve only given her 3 in the 3-4 Months I've had her. I'm just St trying to give her what she needs every site is different this or that. I found this page n hoping for some good info. And her chaser would be once every 5 days.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:53 pm   Re: New red owner.

I'd limit the advice you get from pet stores. Try a veggie clip for some lettuce or go with an aquatic plant that will survive in your tank. As for advice around the 'net, just always be more conservative with the food and treats. Chart her weight/growth if you can.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:48 pm   Re: New red owner.

Well that's why I'm on here to. To get advice from real owners of res. I'm just trying to make sure she's doing good n stuff. Ya know, I was just trying to do a good thing for her sake. I mean my friends res her biggest one is like 6 lbs and is about 2x as big as mine. I mean how long do they grow for? That she's 3 1/2 I read their growth slows after this. Could it be she's so small BC she wasn't kept in a big enough cage from the gate
That's what I was told when I got her the people didn't what to get a bigger tank I think he said she was in a 10 with a bark wood. I have her in a 40gal all water with rocks built up on one side for her basking I also will sit her food on there so she gets out n gets it.(not her pellets tho obviously). I've gotten tons of books and ect. I'm just trying to so my best for her. All my animals r treated as one of the family. My dog is gonna b 13 I have a guinea pig n bunny n Ruby(my turtle).
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:13 pm   Re: New red owner.

Shea about 6inches long and my guess is about 3-4 lbs. I don't have anything that will weigh her. She's grown about an inch in the 2-3 months I had her.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:03 am   Re: New red owner.

Is she 3 1/2 inches or years old? Their size or at least how fast they grow is from their diet. Can you post a picture of her setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:57 pm   Re: New red owner.

She's 3 1/2 years old. She's 6inches long. I'll try to I'm on my phone.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:08 pm   Re: New red owner.

Q
Last edited by Bmcc30 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 pm   Re: New red owner.

Bmcc30

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:30 am   Re: New red owner.

Could you increase the water levels? You'll be looking to upgrade the tank/filters down the line. You can skip the live prey part. She's a bit big for her age, I'd probably review her diet to make sure she's not over fed. It's better to be conservative when it comes to it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:55 am   Re: New red owner.

Yes i am looking into a 55 i just need room to hold it first. I changwr her water every 2-3 weeks right now. Or more if it gets cloudy its changed. OK. Like I said I've only had her for a few months like 3. I will do pellets every 3 days? Then do salad/greens everyday? I have the post copied of things to feed or not to feed. So I'm gonna get some of those items at the store. Thanks for the help.
Bmcc30

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 am   Re: New red owner.

I don't wnat to over feed her or hurt her. I'm currently looking into a vet to take her to to get her checked out to. So that's on the to do list. I.would alaos like to put her outside when it gets warm on occasion. Is that OK to do. My plans are a baby pool with basking rocks in it with an umbrella attached to one side to shade it with a chicken fence in the ground and around the pool. And some how a ramp for her to get in and out of the pool to the ground. Is there anything on the ground that can hurt her. Or I should be worried about?
Bmcc30

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.