Feeding and Nutrition :: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:50 pm   How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

Hello all,

I do not know the severity of this topic but am posting it so hopefully it won't get bad.

Basically what happens is I've been feeding my turtles over 2-3 days. My false map turtle responds fine to it, but my yellow bellied slider doesn't. What my yellow bellied slider does is every day when I used to feed her and my other turtle around the evening every day, she'd be fine. She still seems to think thats the case because around the same time everyday for several hours, she tries climbing out of the shack above the tank and you can see her head sticking out of bottom layer and into the visible, upper plastic layer.

I've read online that you feed them only a few times a week but she's acting quite aggressive for the food. When I feed her, she stops.

So to make a long story short, do I feed her everyday for acting like this? Does she have to eat everyday? Will it affect her health if I do it every other day? Thanks.
logo897

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 pm   Re: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

I think the total amount over the course of a week is more important than how frequently.

I have often heard to feed every other day the amount that would fit in their head or slightly less. I feed my RES daily about 1/3 the amount that would fit in her head.

She's not gaining weight, but she certainly knows when feeding time is. :)
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 am   Re: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

ljapa wrote:I think the total amount over the course of a week is more important than how frequently.

I have often heard to feed every other day the amount that would fit in their head or slightly less. I feed my RES daily about 1/3 the amount that would fit in her head.

She's not gaining weight, but she certainly knows when feeding time is. :)

Alright that makes perfect sense, thank you!

Instead of making another thread about this I have a quick question:

Is it better if I have a 50 watt or 100 watt uva bulb for my turtles? I have a uvb light right next to it and I notice they stay up on the shack longer with a 50 watt bulb, so isn't that better for them so they get more of the vitamins? Not sure to be honest..

Thanks
logo897

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:06 pm   Re: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

Hard to answer your UVB question correctly. What type of UVB bulb? Distance? Is there a temperature difference in the setup of the two?

I would think that more basking is better, unless the more basking is because the UVB is too weak.

Give us some info on your setup.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:05 pm   Re: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

ljapa wrote:Hard to answer your UVB question correctly. What type of UVB bulb? Distance? Is there a temperature difference in the setup of the two?

I would think that more basking is better, unless the more basking is because the UVB is too weak.

Give us some info on your setup.

Okay here's the 2 bulbs I use (uva and uvb)

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Combo-Pac ... es+50+watt

I'd say the distance is about 10 inches or less from the turtle and I do not know the temp difference but I know for sure that it emits a lot more heat (100 watt one I mean. I put my hand by the shack and feel heat while for the 50 watt I have to put it in the shack completely to feel heat.)
logo897

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:53 pm   Re: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

I'd say you are right. Go with the 50 watt one that results in longer basking.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:47 am   Re: How often to feed my turtles? Every day or not?

ljapa wrote:I'd say you are right. Go with the 50 watt one that results in longer basking.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much, will do and I just ordered a new one.

Cheers,

Logo897
logo897

Return to Feeding and Nutrition