Urgent Care :: Please help my baby

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:55 pm   Please help my baby

I have had two baby res for about a month now and everything was great up until about 4 days ago I was walking by the tank and noticed him floating in the tank on his back. I thought he was dead so I was going to remove him from the tank but he started moving so I just placed him on his stomach on the basking rock and thats pretty much where he has stayed. I've found him in the water one more time like that since then. Once I got a closer look at him it looks likw the other res may have bitten him on the mouth. He looked like he had sores on both sides of his mouth and he wont open his eyes. I have him in his own tank now water temp is good and everything checks out but I cant get him to eat. Does anyone maybe know what could be wrong with him?? Any advice is welcome thank you in advance.
elissaconley89

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:33 pm   Re: Please help my baby

Can you post some pictures of the injured area? How big are they? It's very unusual for hatchlings to be aggressive toward each other.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:05 am   Re: Please help my baby

I tried to attach a picture but it says the attachment is invalid, am I doing something wrong?
elissaconley89

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:44 am   Re: Please help my baby

It might have trouble over mobile. If you email them to me, I will post them -- redearslider@gmail.com
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:14 pm   Re: Please help my baby

elissaconley89 wrote:I have had two baby res for about a month now and everything was great up until about 4 days ago I was walking by the tank and noticed him floating in the tank on his back. I thought he was dead so I was going to remove him from the tank but he started moving so I just placed him on his stomach on the basking rock and thats pretty much where he has stayed. I've found him in the water one more time like that since then. Once I got a closer look at him it looks likw the other res may have bitten him on the mouth. He looked like he had sores on both sides of his mouth and he wont open his eyes. I have him in his own tank now water temp is good and everything checks out but I cant get him to eat. Does anyone maybe know what could be wrong with him?? Any advice is welcome thank you in advance.

Something is very wrong overall and I hope Steve answered your questions. As mentioned, it is rare for babies to be aggressive to each other however tail nips and nipping does occur periodically while feeding them. Once a injury does occur, it will apply stress to any animal in general who receives such injuries . First and foremost, photos of the injured areas should be checked. In the mean time, anytime this occurs, separation of the injured turtle to another clean tank or set up should be done for the turtle to be examined closer and if needed be checked out by a licensed exotic veterinarian. I would not place any other turtle with it or anything that may cause it stress and keep the other tank in a clean environment with very little activity so you can monitor it. Use UVB and UVA lighting keeping the water temps from 78 to 80 f and outside temps around 82 f with a nice warm basking area. If it recovers fast, try offering it frozen thawed blood worms and keep it separated from other turtles for a few months before re introducing it with other turtles.

These are just my personal recommendations I learned over 35 years of keeping reptiles in general.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Urgent Care