Feeding and Nutrition :: Catnip?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:21 pm   Catnip?

Before i start, no this is not a joke post.
For the longest time i had this catnip plant that looks like a junk of square grass. 1 time per week i chop some off and give some to my cat and my bird (petstore said birds LOVE to eat catnip)
So.... Since the "catnip" plant helps my bird and cat with digestion, is it toxic to turtles?
Please, i know this is probably a stupid post but i would like a serious answer.
Thank you!
EDIT: Tortoises also eat catnip if that makes a difference
Also i meant chunk not junk Lol!
Last edited by heliwr123 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hi
heliwr123

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:58 am   Re: Catnip?

I'm not sure if its harmful but I don't think anyone uses it for turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 am   Re: Catnip?

heliwr123 wrote:Before i start, no this is not a joke post.
For the longest time i had this catnip plant that looks like a junk of square grass. 1 time per week i chop some off and give some to my cat and my bird (petstore said birds LOVE to eat catnip)
So.... Since the "catnip" plant helps my bird and cat with digestion, is it toxic to turtles?
Please, i know this is probably a stupid post but i would like a serious answer.
Thank you!

Hi. That's interesting. I also use catnip for my cats but I'm very cautious about it so I rarely ever give them. Probably 1 or twice every 6 months. My cats are very playful already. I've read a lot about catnip and there isn't really any serious side effects to be concerned but the most common warnings is excessive use or overdose. Have you already given your turtle the catnip? I don't think they are harmful to turtles but if you're not sure then just don't.
ruwayne

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:23 pm   Re: Catnip?

ruwayne wrote:
heliwr123 wrote:Before i start, no this is not a joke post.
Thank you!

Hi. That's interesting. I also use catnip for my cats but I'm very cautious about it so I rarely ever give them. Probably 1 or twice every 6 months. My cats are very playful already. I've read a lot about catnip and there isn't really any serious side effects to be concerned but the most common warnings is excessive use or overdose. Have you already given your turtle the catnip? I don't think they are harmful to turtles but if you're not sure then just don't.

No i have not given it yet and now i probably will not.
Thanks all :)
hi
heliwr123

Return to Feeding and Nutrition