Habitat - Indoor :: Stock Tank Advice

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 pm   Stock Tank Advice

Clarence lives in a 150g tank, but due to weight issues, only 100g is being utilized. I have been looking into other options, such as acrylic, and stock tanks. Though I am worried about loosing length, I like the idea of an indoor pond, and the additional width they offer. His tank is 18" wide, and he is at the size now, that when he dives off his basking platform, he bonks into the sides :( Going to try to post the links to the 3 stock tanks that I have pondering over.

http://www.highcountryplastics.com/prod ... -tank.html

http://www.tufftubs.com/htdocs/plinoval.htm

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/rcp ... tanks_4245

Would love a 300g, but unfortunately that is not feasible in this tiny, old house, and I want Clarence inside with me.
The Tuff, and Rubermaid are a little to wide (would take half the room), but could possibly make it work. The High Country is a good width, but I sacrifice length. It also comes in blue!

Also, has anyone had any luck using a canister filter, with the stock tank sitting directly on the floor?

Did you have problems with the drain plug leaking? If so, did you seal it off? Best way to do this?

I greatly apprecitate any suggestions, and advice :)
twoam

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:25 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Regarding the 150g, what about reinforcing the floor or stand (so it redistributes more weight)? Stock tanks are nicer in that they are wider, but you will need to raise it a little for the canister. You can have it work on the floor BUT priming a canister is tricky. In my case it was an old XP3. It will take a little time for your RES to get used to being on a lower level.

I have a 100 gallon rubbermaid and it does not leak. I have heard of a few problems but I have not personally experienced it. Some plastic cement should seal it (or maybe you can connect to a drain for easy cleaning).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:01 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Not even considering the weight of the stand, the tank and 100g of water weighs over a 1000 pounds. There are jacks under the floor, but it is also very tall, and difficult to clean. I really want him to have more water space, and loving the idea of added width. Leaning towards the rubbermaid, for the length. 99.9% sure we would not use the drain. We currently use, and really like the Python. Found the sand thread, and pretty excited about being able to add that too! Would love to raise it up a bit, if I can find some ideas. Preferably not with cinder blocks. I think Clarence would love the added privacy, but I do have to figure out where to put this in a very small living room. I know it sounds weird, but he LOVES watching T.V. Also, there is a video of a stock tank decorated for halloween, but I cannot seem to locate it again. Any way you could point me in the right direction?
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:56 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

I put the 300 gallon in my basement.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35172
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:50 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

twoam

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:51 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Oh Donnie would LOVE that tank. I'm lucky- I now live in a ground-floor apartment with no basement, so her tank isn't going anywhere. I don't have to worry about the weight of the 110 gal stock tank i'm upgrading to soon. If I had the room, I'd probably spoil her and get her a 300gal.
emm13

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

That is awesome!!!
twoam

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:01 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Can anyone tell me the base dimensions of the 150 gal Rubbermaid?

Also, anyone have any luck using galvanized stock tanks for indoor habitat? I like this one http://www.ourcoop.com/productcatalog/M ... od=I&ps=50.

Sorry I ask so many questions. Seems like I wake up in the middle of the night with a new question lol. Thanks all :)
twoam

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:32 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Just a word of advice about a metal tank. It could build up condensation on the outside. Depending on air temp water temp and humidity. I wouldn't recommend it. The rubbermaid tanks are pretty thick plastic and you wont have to worry about condensation. Dont know the footprint of the 150. Sorry.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:00 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

58 x 39 x 25 (height), I'm not sure about the bottom oval.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:06 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

steve wrote:58 x 39 x 25 (height), I'm not sure about the bottom oval.

Thanks. I have those measurments. Was just wondering how much smaller the base is, as it looks cone shaped. Was still hoping anyone with a galvanized indoor habitat would chime in. I really like the one that I posted above, but definately do not want to deal with condensation on the outside.
twoam

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:57 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

There are few who have used those galvanized tanks outdoors, I don't recall one being indoors. I think your location would greatly determine if there would be a condensation problem.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:00 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

I was just pointing out something that could be a problem. I have never owned a metal tank but it seams to me that it being made of metal condensation "Could" be an issue. I have also never heard of anyone having one indoors.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:46 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

It's worth checking out, some of those setups could look pretty nice.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor