Feeding and Nutrition :: 41 Year Old Picky About Pellets

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:38 pm   41 Year Old Picky About Pellets

About 10 years ago I started to feed pellets along with other food. I can't remember the brand and when it was used up it was no longer available at Pet Smart(?). I bought what they had but my turtle wouldn't eat much. I complained to the store and they took it back. I avoided pellets for a while. Last year a bought Zoo Med Adult Formula but my turtle had a difficult time eating them because they were too hard(crunchy). I contacted Zoo Med and they suggested to try the Growth Formula...same thing, too hard , hardly any eaten and most float and get soggy.
I was reading here and it was suggested to soak them in Tuna Oil. Don't have any and am trying to soak the pellet in a slice a Salmon right now just before feeding.

Should the Zoo Med Growth Formula pellets be so hard they are impossible to chew? I can't even cut them dry with a sharp knife. My local store does not stock any variety of turtle food.
ed52

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:00 pm   Re: 41 Year Old Picky About Pellets

Hello,

Have you given the idea of Jello shots a thought?? We have a link here on this forum for all kinds of recipes for it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17486

I have not tried it yet, but am thinking of giving it a shot.. It appears most turtles love them. And maybe cause you have such an elderly lady she just isn't able to crunch the hard stuff anymore.. I know they don't have teeth.. but maybe they get some arthritis or something in their jaws.. Who knows.. Can't believe you have a turtle that old, that's amazing.. If you have any pictures of her I would love to see them..

You can take the Zoo Med pellets and blend them in the shots so she still gets them but they will be all ground up then.. Just an idea.. I have a very elderly ferret and she still has teeth but she don't appear to like chewing anymore.. So I have had to make her what we call soupies.. Ground up kibble mixed with other things that she can just lick up. I don't imagine an older turtle is any different.. Everything wears out as we age..lol
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 pm   Re: 41 Year Old Picky About Pellets

Would just a quick soak in some water be OK? And you can use the water in canned tuna or salmon. I have not tried this, but some people swear by San Francisco Bay Aquatic Turtle Diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:52 pm   Re: 41 Year Old Picky About Pellets

A healthy adult RES should have no trouble eating the Zoo Med Maintenance pellets. They just take a little getting used to. My turtles were the same way, and now they swallow those things whole...

If your RES seems to be having a really hard time, though, just toss some in a Ziploc and gently tap the bag with a hammer. Hopefully, you get some half-pellets that are more than manageable.

I avoid tuna and/or salmon water unless I really have a stubborn eater. It just fouls up the water.
Jeremiah

Return to Feeding and Nutrition