Habitat - Indoor :: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:29 pm   Bamboo in turtle tank ?

As I said I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and I'm us in a 5 gallon bucket as a trickle tower filter , but for some added help for nitrates could I put bamboo in my tank ? I've seen it in some tanks and it doesn't need very much uvb light so it'll be easy to maintain , just wanted to know if it could work in a turtle tank , or I wanna know some plants that are easy to maintain that the turts won't bother ! :mrgreen:
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:39 am   Re: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

Is it the "lucky bamboo"? Because it's not real bamboo and it's avoided because I think it's poisonous to cats or something. Either way, you can bet that the turtles will go after it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:22 pm   Re: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

My cat doesn't go anywhere near my tank lol . But I have no idea I have to look at the store to see what kind it is .
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 pm   Re: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

Those "luck bamboo" plants are not aquatic either. You have to keep the leaves above water or they will eventually die. I think the best plants are fake fabric plants.
Another option is to use suction cup soap dishes or sponge holders to keep plants in above the water line. Here is a good example: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ts.483063/

Common Pathos Ivy works really well.
devilduck

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 am   Re: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

devilduck wrote:Those "luck bamboo" plants are not aquatic either. You have to keep the leaves above water or they will eventually die. I think the best plants are fake fabric plants.
Another option is to use suction cup soap dishes or sponge holders to keep plants in above the water line. Here is a good example: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ts.483063/

Common Pathos Ivy works really well.

That sounds like an awesome idea lol , I never thought of that ! But I'll probably just end up using duckweed I know it grows fast and it's good for turts , so I'll probably just use that ^.^
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:56 pm   Re: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

I bought one of these plants for my tank for $5 and it's gorgeous.. Then after I put it in I read that they aren't safe for turtles. Is this false? Cause id love to have this plant in my tank.
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:11 am   Re: Bamboo in turtle tank ?

Think it was covered in this thread.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor