Habitat - Indoor :: HELP! New tank and having issues!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:33 pm   HELP! New tank and having issues!

Hi all-

We got 2 small RES' in December (Dot 3 and Leaf Dinosaur) and have been really struggling ever since to keep the tank water clean. I understand cloudiness as bio elements find their balance, but within days, the tank goes from clean but cloudy to green or brownish. I started with a horrible filter, and then got the Finnex PX 360 small canister filter. (have a 20 gal long tank) I had ceramic bio media, the sponge on the bottom and put in a purigen packet in there too but to no avail. Then I added carbon and zeolite in a bag to the filter as well. didn't help. Then I read somewhere on this site to try the 'optional' set up- so I did with just filter floss and carbon. Did that for the last two days and the water is just almost brown! Help! My poor guys- I worry about them getting sick. I did a total tank clean/change one week ago, and had to do a 25% water change after 4 days bc it was getting so bad.

I am going to start feeding them in a separate tank, and had been using tap water with the conditioner, any ideas or recommendations would really be appreciated! The folks at the pet store are not very helpful.

Thanks
vtbruiser

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:08 pm   Re: HELP! New tank and having issues!

Most likely the tank is too small and there's not enough water. How many gallons is it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:26 am   Re: HELP! New tank and having issues!

It is a 20 gallon long tank- and it is about just under 1/2 filled (they can poke their heads above the water if on their tippy toes)
vtbruiser

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:06 pm   Re: HELP! New tank and having issues!

That tank would be considered too small but more water will help. I also think the filter is a underpowered as small canisters are not really effective for turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor