Feeding and Nutrition :: Pellet free diet?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 am   Pellet free diet?

Hi everyone im a new res turtle owner and im currently concerned about my turtles diet.when i bought him he came with a small box of flakes that seemed a bit shady unfortunately the box didnt have ingredients written on it. I didnt want to risk feeding him that so currently his diet is composed of lean beef,chicken,eggs,carrots,lettuce,rarely tomatoes and some fruits.does anyone think a pellet free diet is possible?if so what do i have to add to his current diet ?
Ranadkhashab

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:41 am   Re: Pellet free diet?

I don't know whether its possible or not to go pellet free.. But I imagine if you have the proper balance and variety it could be an option.. I would be curious it if can be done.. Cause I am all for treating my pet as closely to natural as possible..

Here is a List from here of things you can feed your turtle.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5

I would imagine you need to add more vegetables to his diet and also make sure he is getting lots of calcium, in the form of live prey, cuttle bone or calcium power sprinkled on his food..

Hope the list helps.. :)

I also forgot to ask what kind of turtle is it.. Depending on the species I am sure it has different dietary requirements..
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 pm   Re: Pellet free diet?

Its a red eared slider i heard there mostly carnivorus as young which explains alot about his dietary prefrences currently im trying to feed him shrimp (since lots of pellets are shrimp based) i think im going to buy him some good quality pellets though so far the only decent pellet i found was the vitakraft reptile omnivore pellets but i heard lots of good reveiws on the mazuri brand and i might buy them online since i cant find them here
Ranadkhashab

Return to Feeding and Nutrition