Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Greetings !

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:12 am   Greetings !

Hello all,

I just registered so I am taking a minute to introduce myself and my two little guys/gals. I just recently "rescued" two red eared sliders that my 4 year old has insisted on naming strawberry shortcake and blueberry shortcake lol. I am fairly new to turtles as pets, but do have experience with other "aquarium pets" such as frogs, toads, and African cichlids. Well, that's it. I'm happy to be a new member :)
pmkls1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:28 am   Re: Greetings !

Welcome to the forum! How big are they? Do you have any pictures?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:01 pm   Re: Greetings !

They are about 6" and 4 1/2" and are about 3-4 years old. I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll have some before long.
pmkls1

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 pm   Re: Greetings !

Behold "straw" and "blue" ! Blue is on top and Straw is on the bottom.

pmkls1

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:34 pm   Re: Greetings !

awww they are very cute. I love these stacking Pics.. Makes it hard for me to stick to my resolve to only have one turtle. From the pics and only seeing a couple nails on Blue.. Looks like you may have a couple female RESs..

Ooops almost forgot to say Welcome to the group!! :msgreen: :mrgreen:
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:52 am   Re: Greetings !

Great picture! Welcome.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:14 am   Re: Greetings !

unclejoe wrote:awww they are very cute. I love these stacking Pics.. Makes it hard for me to stick to my resolve to only have one turtle. From the pics and only seeing a couple nails on Blue.. Looks like you may have a couple female RESs..

Thanks, I'm afraid that you're probably right about them both being female. I was sort of hoping that I had one of each sex, but it's probably better that I don't right now lol. After analysis of their tails and other features it appears to my untrained eye that they are both female although Blue does have a slightly concave plastron. I got them as a pair because they were together, but I should only have one because of tank size requirements. Right now they are sharing a 20 long because that's the largest tank I have anymore. BUT, before I "rescued" them they were living in a 10 gallon that was filled about 1/3 full with NO filtration, basking area, or any light other than the hood that the tank came with. So, I'd like to think that they got a major upgrade in living conditions. I plan on buying them a much larger home with some of my tax refund and am toying with a few different ideas at the moment. I've always been a "go big or go home" kind of person when it comes to any hobby, and these guys are no exception lol.

Holy crap, I just read your signature and also your location and I would be willing to give you this 20 long that I have for a steal after I've upgraded if you're interested and close enough to meet. Below is a pic of the setup in it's current configuration and the screen and filter would come with it if you want. Don't mean to solicit, but I just noticed the info and I'm always wheeling and dealing lol. Oh, and the excess silicone around the basking platform and ramp will be cleaned up once I move the tank over to a stand next week.

pmkls1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:10 am   Re: Greetings !

We are close to where you are. Haven't looked up the mileage yet. Phil is ok in this 10 gallon tank but I am constantly on lookout on CL for a bigger tank. If we still haven't got one by the time you upgrade would be very interested.

As for the two females, we personally enjoyed the female personalities more in our wild RESs then the males.. Males just came in snapped up food and left.. The girls became very tame and seemed to enjoy a bit of interaction with us, because they were wild they constantly had mud and algae build up on their shells,, they got to the point they would let us scratch them off with a wash brush just to just try and keep it under control. Only worry I would have with the females is the egg laying issue. You will have to be aware of that and know the signs.

I can't even imagine these two in a ten gallon only a third full.. My little 1.5" guy has half a tank and he is tiny.. Glad you rescued them..
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:35 pm   Re: Greetings !

I am fully planning on upgrading to larger accommodations as soon as I get my tax refund in about 6-8 weeks. I haven't decided yet on what I'm going to get them, but it will definitely have a basking area that they can dig and lay eggs in. I live about an hour and a half from Bristol if that gives you any idea how far I am from you. I'll let you know after I get them a new home and see if you're still interested.
pmkls1

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.