Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: ammonia smell won't go away

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:48 pm   ammonia smell won't go away

hello, I have a problem getting rid of the ammonia smell in the tank.I've tried everything from rinsing the media in aquarium water to adding ammo carb,full changings,re-arranging the media,ammo lock you name it I've done it.I'm wondering if it's the filters themselves.I have two SunSun four stage canister filters HW304B 375GPH.Maybe I have the media in the wrong order.I've had one filter for three months and the other one for two years.My tank is 50 gallons and I have two RES's One is four and the other one is one year "Bat man and Little Fatty"Can some one please tell me what the problem is.Oh yeah and there is some kind of white thick film inside of the out take inside the aqua stop going inside the top of the filter.I've tried prying it off but no go I think it's some kind of bacteria.I know it's not part of the filter.Any way sorry I wrote a book.Any kind of guidance would be helpful.Thanks
virginias377

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:47 pm   Re: ammonia smell won't go away

Are the smells constant? Say you do a 100% water change and filter cleaning. Does the smell start the next day and never dissipates? Most likely there is not enough water to handle the bio load.

Is the white film hard or slimy? Around my tank, the calcium/mineral deposits only show up the outlets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:28 pm   Re: ammonia smell won't go away

I have never heard of anyone Complaining of ammonia smell? Pictures of the film your talking about please.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.