Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval Filters?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:37 pm   Re: Fluval Filters?

Turtles like to swim, who would have guessed? ;-) Media is anything that's in the filter. Sponges, lava rock, ceramic rings etc.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=16
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:51 pm   Re: Fluval Filters?

That is what we are enjoying having a captive pet turtle is how they behave beneath the surface. We really had no idea what our wild turtles did all day in the pond waiting for feeding times. We are enjoying watching him enjoying his area. But Can't wait to give him a bigger one.

I read that ceramic is best for turtle tanks do you all agree with that or have different opinions?
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:13 pm   Re: Fluval Filters?

Ceramic rings are good. Just make sure their porous. Some aren't.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:08 pm   Re: Fluval Filters?

unclejoe wrote:Ok can someone explain to me what they mean by media? is that the natural bacteria you want to grow in your filter?

Also I figure when I have a bigger tank I could build some sort of rock formation under waterfall to quiet the sound of water falling, but I Don't want to take up anymore space in this tiny 10 gallon. He has already become way more active and is enjoying all the swimming space he does have. At first he just stuck near the top but now I think he likes have the depth..

Media is the replaceable stuff like carbon in the filter. Petco also won't ship the 40B tank, or if they did it would be expensive. It might be worth the drive depending on how far you have to go.

A better option might be a stock tank from tractor supply or another farm store. Amazon also has them for about the same price shipped, as weird as that seems. Get a plastic/rubber tank that doesn't have a drain in it. They're cheap and wide for the turtle to turn around in. I used one of these and it lasted a while since it has a decent depth and plenty of space to swim around in. Then for basking, just make a ramp and area with glass or acrylic around it so they can't get out.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG424300BLA-Structural-Capacity/dp/B000NPBLAU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450058759&sr=8-4&keywords=stock+tank

Edit: I did have a ramp going around it though. That version would make it easy for the turtle to escape if you don't build a habitat around it. These would be a better option if you don't want to go all out.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Products-KMT102-30-Gallon/dp/B000HHLQUO/

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Products-KMT101-40-Gallon/dp/B000OWGI4Q/

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Products-KMT50-50-Gallon/dp/B000OW8S80/
flaring afro

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:10 am   Re: Fluval Filters?

this is something we would like to do in the future.. build a wood platform around it and make an indoor pond as well as an outdoor. I want the turtles we have to spend the majority of the year outside and only come in when it starts to get too cold outside.. Thank you for the links..

One question if we use something like this outside and keep it above ground,, will the water get too hot being out in the sun most of the day? That is my biggest concern. I want them to have a good amount of sun but I worry about the water getting way to hot... We do know that the turtles in the wild were swimming in a pond that was at least 92 degrees in FL, maybe even warmer, we only tested the water a couple times just to see how warm it was. But the ponds had mud bottoms, so I imagine if they needed to cool off they would bury themselves in mud.. YOu can see in our avatar pic they had tonnes of mud and algae growing on their shells..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:25 am   Re: Fluval Filters?

They do need to be able to regulate their body temperature. Was the temp in your pond surface temp? Chances are 5 feet down it would have been considerably cooler. If you putting a plastic pond outside I would think they would need shade.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:34 am   Re: Fluval Filters?

the pond we fed in was very deep.. but for most the summer the turtles lived in our back pond which at the rainest part of the year was only 2' deep. And a 2' deep pond in full sun all day in the summer in florida must have gotten pretty warm. They didn't leave that pond till it shrank up to a puddle.. but as I said, they had a choice to move where ever they wanted... My poor little guy will not.. Where I would like to put the pond I think will have early morning Shade.. Then sun till about 1 pm then shade again.. I need to check the spot for shade once tree in the back yard has leaves on it.. Right now its hard to judge cause more sun gets through.. Its a protected spot off our deck where we can put some sort of netting over it so birds can't pick him up.. I would imagine a 50 gallon tub would be minimum for outside in the sun all summer..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:53 am   Re: Fluval Filters?

I don't know that much about keeping turtles outdoors. Maybe you can find answers to your questions here
viewforum.php?f=7
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor