Habitat - Indoor :: Indoor Pond Build

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:16 pm   Indoor Pond Build

Hey everyone, I hope you and your turtles are doing well! Mine are doing great, I have the, in a 45 gallon tank as of right now and have finally ordered a preformed pond. I decided to go with a 150 gallon chelsea water garden. I will have to buy a new filter and heater and other doo dad's to go with it. I'm going to build a frame and have at least 18 inches between the edge of the pond and the barrier for them to roam on land and bask. What's a good canister, water heater and suggestions for the pond set up that are crucial?
coryd25

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:33 pm   Re: Indoor Pond Build

The FX6 is very popular here... considered very good for it's price range. You'll probably want to want to raise the pond a bit, as it is a big filter. For heaters, your regular Eheims and Aqueons/Pro should be fine in there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:15 pm   Re: Indoor Pond Build

I appreciate your response steve, as always lol. Why does the pond need to be raised for the canister filter?
coryd25

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:02 am   Re: Indoor Pond Build

Canister filters suck in water via gravity. While it can work level to a tank or pond, you will have a lot of difficulty priming it. Plus, if the pond is tall enough, you can place the filter under it, out of view.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:23 am   Re: Indoor Pond Build

I agree with the fx filter and putting your pond on a stand of sorts. My Tank has an 9" wooden stand under it.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Habitat - Indoor