Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 pm   Hello

Hi everyone. My wife Dar24 and I have had much experience with wild turtles, including several red ears, but we just got our first tank terp, a midland painted named Philbert. (Probably cliche name, but I love Rocko)

We loved our gang that lived by our house in FL. We were hand feeding almost 2 dozen individuals of 5 species, including red ears, yellow bellies, a red belly, Florida soft shells and a Florida snapper. We missed them so much we found Phil on craigslist. We've only had him 4 days and he's already eating pellets from our hands. Right now we're renting, but eventually we'd like to build a deluxe outdoor habitat and have several residents. We're hoping to learn from you all as well as share what we learn. I have pics and videos of them interacting with us, but will post them elsewhere later.

We are also ferret people. I'm a mod on 2 forums and Dar24 and I have each been admins on our own now defunct boards. We have 7 ferts and a shiht zu besides Phil.
Last edited by unclejoe on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:00 pm   Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum! You're lucky to have a painted, I always thought they were great looking. It's nice to be able to hand feed, I think they need to make extra long pellets before I do that again with my RES :)

Ferrets are great too, my sister at one point had 5.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:18 pm   Re: Hello

Hi, Steve. I've been nipped by just about all of the ones I mentioned, but I think the worst was the red bellied cooter. Ruby had a sharp beak. Whenever we would get nipped, we would wash our hands immediately, but that time it was deep enough that I got a dose of salmonella anyway. I think the snapper, Zilla, only got me once, and we could tell he felt bad about it, lol. I think the most we had at once was around 14, all climbing over each other. I'll post some video and pics later.
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:20 am   Re: Hello

More pics and video would be great!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.