Habitat - Indoor :: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:45 pm   Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

I recently got my RES (his name is Melvin :mrgreen: !) back from my dad and couldn't be happier to have my boy back!! I'm reworking his lighting/heating setup because it's time for new bulbs, so there's no better time but the present! Here's my details, any advice is welcome!!

- He's in a 40 gal breeder tank approx. half full of water
- He's approx. 12 years old
- Basking area sits 6-8 inches below the top of the tank

Here's my questions:
- I'm planning on getting an Exo Terra Repti-Glo 5.0 Compact Fluorescent 26-Watt bulb, Is this appropriate?
- I would like to try a ceramic heating emitter. I believe a 60 watt bulb will work well for the setup/distance from the basking platform?
- Should the heating element be on 24/7? I live in New England and the room temp this time of year is definitely too cold for him, but I'm not sure if he basks over night.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks!!
RES_Melvin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:34 am   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

Hi Melvin and keeper! The reptigo should be OK. I'd vote against ceramic heater as a sole heat source. They are fragile, expensive and don't know if they're on or not. I'm also not crazy about CFLs as the only light source. Might be OK in a brightly lit room.

When you mention heating element, you mean the basking lamp or a water heater? He should have a water heater, especially in NE. Aqueon Pros and Eheim Jagers are good... the Aqueons have a lifetime warranty.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:52 pm   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

steve wrote:I'm also not crazy about CFLs as the only light source. Might be OK in a brightly lit room.

When you mention heating element, you mean the basking lamp or a water heater?.

He is in a very well lit room and sits in front of an eastward facing window so he gets a lot of light for a majority of the day. What else might you suggest?

He has a water heater that keeps it at 76-78 degrees. I'm trying to decide on a basking heating options. Should that be on 24/7? What would you suggest?
RES_Melvin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:11 pm   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

If your going to use a cfl you will also need a heat source. Incandescent or halogen bulb probably 60 or 70 watt. You want the basking area to be around 90º I set my lights to come on with sunrise and turn off at sunset with a timer.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

I went to a pet store today and the clerk helping me told me that I don't need a UVA or UVB source because Melvin is fully grown. I didn't think this was true?
RES_Melvin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:58 pm   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

RES_Melvin wrote:I went to a pet store today and the clerk helping me told me that I don't need a UVA or UVB source because Melvin is fully grown. I didn't think this was true?

It's not. First, turtles never completely stop growing.

More importantly, turtles need the uvb to synthesize Vitamin D. Vitamin D is vital in metabolizing calcium to make bone, but it's vital in other processes too.

Besides, I can tell you that wild turtles bask at any size. I think there are likely many more things going on than just vitamin D production.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:14 pm   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

[quote="ljapa"
It's not. First, turtles never completely stop growing.

More importantly, turtles need the uvb to synthesize Vitamin D. Vitamin D is vital in metabolizing calcium to make bone, but it's vital in other processes too.

Besides, I can tell you that wild turtles bask at any size. I think there are likely many more things going on than just vitamin D production.[/quote]

That's what I thought, which is why I still bought a UVB bulb! Thank you!
RES_Melvin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:00 pm   Re: Advice needed for heating/lighting please!!

I went down to the hydroponics shop and picked up a surge protector with a timer on it so he has a day/night cycle. Plus with the timer you don't have to worry about turning it on and off every day.
Gussy

Return to Habitat - Indoor