Feeding and Nutrition :: Pellet Brands

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:16 am   Pellet Brands

Hows it going everyone? I'm in the process of buying a setup/red ear slider and just have a few questions about the food. I want to make sure I buy the correct food/understand the different types of food available. Right now I'm looking at buying both ReptoMin Floating Sticks and Flukers Buffet Blend just not sure if I need both or if they're basically the same.

1) Are pellets and sticks the same or are the sticks considered snacks?

2) Is one brand better/more nutritional than others or are they basically the same?

3) I see some food is for juvenile turtles. Is that necessary or is that just a "marketing gimmick"

4) I'm planning on having plants in the tank and while I'm not relying on the turtle to eat them I know it's to be expected. When figuring out a feeding schedule should that be taken into consideration or is there basically no nutritional value in whatever plants i end up getting?
YonkasTone

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 pm   Re: Pellet Brands

I would go over this page for a comparison (I'm NOT him): https://theturtleroom.com/blog/2012/04/ ... pplements/

I personally like Mazuri and Omega-One. The later is a bit pricey but is considered to be very good. Mazuri is pretty reasonable if you order online from their site (I think they still have free ship).

For your questions:

1 - They are the same and are part of a regular diet. The main thing is to not over feed which is very easy to do. Just use about 1/4 to 1/3 their "head size" amount. When in doubt, feed a little less.

2 - My picks are Omega One, Mazuri and Reptomin. I don't keep up with the other brands anymore.

3 - I think it's a little gimmicky for turtles. They might be shaped smaller, have a bit more calcium or vitamins but nothing special.

4 - Why won't they have any value? You might want to add some greens from the supermarket to mix it up a little.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:18 pm   Re: Pellet Brands

awesome, thanks! not sure what type of plants i'm going to get, need to do a little more research on that now (which i saw a bunch posted in another thread). would the nutrients in them for the most part be on par with lettuce/leafy greens? need to figure out how often to give what (live fish/veggies/fruits/pellets/freeze dried shrimp/etc) but there seems to be more than enough info in the forum to come up with something where i don't have to bother you with questions i'm sure were asked 1000 times before.
YonkasTone

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:54 pm   Re: Pellet Brands

I don't know if there is a nutritional breakdown on aquatic plants like there is other vegetables, but it's more inline with what's natural for them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:12 pm   Re: Pellet Brands

I feed omega one. And don't forget cuttlebone or calcium powder.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Feeding and Nutrition