Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: rescuing 3 turtles!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:38 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

Never clip them. There is a lot of flesh in there and it would be very painful for them. Practice handling them because scratches - even with short nails, can hurt a lot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:20 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

good to know. i have experience with guinea pigs and such, and you have to start clipping their nails at a young age to train the quick(flesh inside) to recede back, otherwise it is more dangerous, and they'll get infected later on and stuff, so i was just curious. thanks!
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:49 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

There is a possibility that nails night get stuck in a stainer or something, but it's pretty rare. I don't think the flesh will recede back, and if too much is gone or there is damage to the nail bed then it won't grow back.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:44 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

i'll trust your expertise. so far i think the turtle that was gravid is the yellow belly, which was a little dissapointing, because i have three female RES and one male, so i sort of assumed they'd be the ones laying, so those are the ones i put in the nesting tank for most of the day. i put two bags of "play sand" in a ten gallon tank, which almost filled it to the top, the ten gallon is inside of a 40 gallon breeder with a rock ramp going up between the ten gallon and the other side of the 40 gallon. there's a metal 200 watt heater inside the sand, and i have a halogen light and a flourescent uvb bulb above the sand bed. there's also a heater in the water, and one of those cheap reptile turtle tank filters, i think the generic term is in tank submersible filter? the beige ones with two suction cups on the back everyone gets to start out, before they know what turtles need. all of my other turtles are seperated also right now, except my two males, the painted and RES. i'm hoping to find any eggs or shells as soon as i can if any other turtles are laying, so i can put them back in the nesting tank. or give them a turn. eventually i want to get a 20 gallon long or something, and have it full of sand for them alongside the water tanks, so they can have an even better nesting experience. or just focus on the pond idea. maybe both. if i can find some more free tanks nearby...
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:43 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

When the females want to nest, they'll frantically want out of the tank. It looks like begging, they are not completely focused on the people around the tank, they just want to get out. Nesting tanks/containers usually fail. It's better if they have access to outdoors where they can choose a safe place to nest.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:59 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

i'd love to do that, but we get raccoons and stuff out here, so until i build the pond(i got permission to!!!) they'll have to settle for heated sand and when i can set them out. if those temporary pens werent so expensive i'd get one so i didn't have to keep moving them and freaking them out so much, but...
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:00 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

thanks for telling me the honest truth about it though!
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:13 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

The thing about taking them out is that they will show you signs that they want to get out. Once they find a suitable spot, they go right at it. It doesn't take long to know if they want to do it there, but once the digging start, it does take awhile. I wouldn't ever suggest leaving a turtle outside unsupervised or unprotected.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:07 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

oh... ok, sorry i misunderstood. i'll do that some more then. thanks!
sparhawk817

Previous

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.