Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: rescuing 3 turtles!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:38 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

i've got a bunch of 12v pumps used for irrigation somewhere around here, and the plan is to have overflows between the tanks, and then in one tank have water coming from the resevoir in, and on the tank opposite it, the water going out to the resevoir. i'll have to see if i can get the overflows working correctly first, and find those pumps! but right now i've got some cheap pond pump sponge filters and canister filters running full bore, and it's... mostly keeping the water clear.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:17 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

I think someone had a similar idea but the plumbing wouldn't work out, at least in an interconnected way.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

yeah interconnected just sucked the water out of the smallest tank. not entirely sure why. but two separate overflows seems to be working.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:53 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

also, thanks for the continued feedback and support steve!
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

Hey, no problem :) I would want to try something but in the end I will probably go for a huge-long tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:11 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

well, in the future i want to do a pond, but i picked up these tanks and the filters and such for free on craigslist, and then saw the turtles needed a home and was like "i can do that!" so... here i am.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:22 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

picked up a couple more tanks, and then someone emailed me about taking in 3 RES, and... well i couldn't refuse. so here i am, rebuilding everthing to provide them with more space and water, but i'll have to bring the tanks "downstairs" out of the top level of my greenhouse(old swingset fort) so there's enough space for the new tanks, which will let me use cheaper pumps i already own, so overall a good thing. just... hours and hours of labor ahead. and someone else asked about two yellow bellieds and another RES, so i might have more turtles soon too. i'm trying to convince my grandpa to let me convert his seasonal pond into a year round one and put a fence up to keep the turtles in and predators more or less out(not much you can do to keep cougars out when it's a forest) but if i provide enough hiding spots in the water... and there's a big rock(size of a smartcar) in the center that will be a nice basking area, coupled with some logs. he lives way out, and owns a good chunk of land(just under 50 acres) so it shouldn't be too big of a deal if i can convince him. bentonite clay, a couple ducks, maybe a pig, and some aquatic plants that'll flourish, like water celery, water lettuce, duckweed etc... i might see if for fencing if i could setup a bamboo barrier(soil barrier to keep it from spreading too much) and just let it go and spread on it's own as the pond is gonna take a few years to get established enough for me to feel confident leaving turtles there year round.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:54 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

A pond would be amazing, I'm not sure how you would manage otherwise with that bale.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:33 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

i'm just keeping an eye out for more free tanks and stuff. i have a swimming pool, the kind with the inflatable ring, but i'd either need to build a frame and insulate it, or dig four feet into the ground all over... and we rent, so the second idea seems like a questionable choice.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:40 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

I'm not sure how well those pools will do if in continuous use. I'd start putting some pressure on grandpa :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:58 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

well, the liner is thicker than pond liners, it's just got holes for hose attachments i'd have to patch. assuming i dug it into the ground i don't think i's have many issues, especially if i let the sludge build up on the bottom(anaerobic bacteria help to seal ponds in the wild, producing "gley" a sort of bioplastic film). i'm just gonna do what i can with what i have for now, and if i need to give them more space in a few months i should have enough money to buy some stock tanks. or i can just keep picking up large free fishtanks.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:45 am   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

You mean the pool liner is thicker? Also keep in mind it's very different material, and softer, probably not made to withstand UV over the long run. Free tanks are good though :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:31 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

the pool is more like a rubbery tarp, rather than a rubber sheet(pond liner) this is the kind of pool with the inflatable donut on top, so if i did dig it into the ground i'm reasonably sure it would hold for at least a few years. in other news, one of my turtles has been laying eggs under water! i'm not sure which one, because i just found one hole(i assumed the white bits of shell were scutes breaking off as they healed) but i've got them in a 40 gallon breeder tank with an herbal bath and a basking area right now, to medicate and hopefully kill off the shell rot without me having to drop 40 bucks on a pint of norazan.
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:32 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

that's where i found the whole egg. in the breeder. it was under water, and already had been sliced open and eaten when i found it, but...
sparhawk817

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:46 pm   Re: rescuing 3 turtles!

question, do turtle nails need to be clipped in captivity? i'd assume the would wear down in the wils, but some of my turtles have exceptionally long front claws. is that normal, or something to worry about?
sparhawk817

PreviousNext

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.